Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: Start-up Problem

There is also the possibility that the kickstand kill switch is malfunctioning. These are known to go bad.
Try staring the bike in neutral. The kickstand switch doesn't kill the bike unless it's in gear. (Not just pull in the clutch. Actually put the bike in neutral and see what happens.)

Also, I know it may seem like an insult, but make sure you haven't thrown the main kill switch.
I once had someone call me out the their work because they couldn't get the bike started. Turned out they flipped the kill switch and just didn't notice. :lol:

Keep us posted.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #12
bjrscj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
There is also the possibility that the kickstand kill switch is malfunctioning. These are known to go bad.
Try staring the bike in neutral. The kickstand switch doesn't kill the bike unless it's in gear. (Not just pull in the clutch. Actually put the bike in neutral and see what happens.)

Also, I know it may seem like an insult, but make sure you haven't thrown the main kill switch.
I once had someone call me out the their work because they couldn't get the bike started. Turned out they flipped the kill switch and just didn't notice. :lol:

Keep us posted.
Thanks for the advice. I did put it in neutral, and I also tried starting it with the stand up. I also tried the killswitch. In fact, the bike won't even turn without the killswitch on, and it is cranking. It's just not catching and holding. At this time, I think my best bet is to check the hoses, as I feel like I've exhausted the other routes. However, while others said rain shouldn't affect anything, when I was looking through the service manual it mentioned drying off spark plugs. We had a pretty wet weekend, so I'm hoping it's as simple as a spark plug. I just hope it's not the carburetor. I'm open to any advice you all have - even if you think it's insulting. I'm not great mechanically, and I'd rather have a broken ego than a broken bike.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #13
alantf

Knowing that the carb is the Achilles heel of the gz, you can bet your bottom dollar that you'll eventually find that it's the problem.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #14
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

It shouldn't take 30 seconds to pull the spark plug boot and remove the spark plug. Even the factory tool is good enough if you don't have a set of your own.

If there is any condensation in there causing your bike to not spark, you'll know it.
Also, if spark is the issue, then you should also see a fairly wet spark plug that smells like gas.

Spark Plug How-to:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1715
Old 09-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #15
bjrscj

UPDATE:

So I checked the hose, and fuel came out just fine. So that's ruled out.

I didn't have all the tools to get the spark plug out, but I was able to start the bike. I pressed the starter while turning the throttle, and it managed to start. The problem is it would start to die as soon as I let off the throttle. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a spark plug become unnecessary once the chain reaction is started? I am under the impression that the explosions in the engine and the heat generated there mean the spark plug is only used to start the bike up. If that's correct, it seems like the carburetor is the next logical step in the chain.

If it is the carb, do you think getting gasoline additive would work if I can get the fuel to pump through again as I was able to tonight? Or do you think it would just be a waste of money and I should manually take it apart? Thanks again for all your insight.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #16
blaine

You need spark to fire the mixture in the cylinder every 4th stroke.Hence the name "4 stroke engine" Intake,compression,Power (fire),exhaust.You should try some SeaFoam or berrymans b12,before you take the carb apart.
:cool:

Old 09-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #17
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Look for your idle adjustment knob and turn it just a bit to raise the idle so that the bike stays running without you having to hold the throttle.

You can do this with your fingers IIRC.

Remove the seat, crack the throttle open so you can start the bike and then slowly adjust your idle speed until the bike will run without you doing anything.

Once you get a properly running bike, we can work some issues out to get it back to the way it was.

And for future reference, every explosion is sparked by the spark plug. All engines work this way. From your lawnmower to your car. Even diesels have glow plugs. Boom, piston down, exhaust, intake, compression-spark-boom, repeat.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:50 AM   #18
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq

Remove the seat, crack the throttle open so you can start the bike and then slowly adjust your idle speed
??????????????? Why remove the seat? The idle knob is the big white knob BELOW the seat, that you can get to while you're sat on the seat. :2tup:
Old 09-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #19
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Uhhh....it's been awhile. :blush:

If you can access that white knob easy-peasy, then don't worry about removing the seat.

I guess I'm getting accustomed to my bike, where you have to remove almost all of the plastics/side covers in order to access any of the important stuff.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #20
mrlmd1

Oldtimers disease setting in. :tongue: