Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
longumd

Start Up Problem

Hello friends,

I recently got a problem with starting, as per seen from the old post, I might need to check the carb thing. Anyway I would like to specify my problem and hopfully you guys might have some suggestions.

It is a 2003 GZ, 6000 miles. Got it this May and ran with no problem during the summer, except the charging voltage is a little bit low(13.2V). I charge my battery every two weeks, so it was fine. I always use choke when staring. My bike was just park outside and after series of heavy rains last month, I cannot start my bike at all. I changed the spark plug and clean the air filter last week. I got my battery fully charged last night (~12.8V). This morning when I tried to start the bike, the engine would die soon if I only press the start button for 2-3 seconds. Finally after I tried to keep pressing start button for ~5 seconds, the bike starts and runs as well. I rode it this morning for ~4 miles. Tonight when I try to start it, same problem, engine would die soon if I only press the start button for 2-3 seconds. Tried 3 times to start then the battery is drained.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #2
5th_bike

Re: Start Up Problem

Sounds like you need a new battery. By the way, 4 miles is not enough to replenish the power it uses to start. You need about half an hour of riding for that.

Don't forget to charge your new battery after you put the acid in it.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
Gz Rider

Old 10-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
longumd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
I feel that this person has a problem other than the battery. His battery was sufficient to crank for 5 seconds several times and he still had a problem starting the bike.

The battery may infact need replacement as evidenced by his need to charge it every two weeks (although this could be from not riding enough) and the age of the bike but he clearly has another problem.
Thanks. I felt battery might not be the only problem also. I measured the voltage this morning, it is 12.3 V? So, 12.8 V yesterday morning, then 6-7 times tried to start, left 12.3 V this morning. I will definitely take the battery to a local shop and test it. It was made in 09/2009, if it is truly bad, I will replace it.

I'm planning to do a 6000 mile maintenance recently. Since I've changed the spark plug and cleaned the air filter. All left on the manual are oil change, oil filter change, fuel hose replacement, brake hose and brake oil replacement. Other than these, I'm not sure what should I check or replace for the my start up problem.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by longumd
All left on the manual are oil change, oil filter change, fuel hose replacement, brake hose and brake oil replacement. Other than these, I'm not sure what should I check or replace for the my start up problem.
Your fuel or brake hose should not need replacing,unless there is visible cracking or other damage.The fuel hose is no big deal,if you want to replace it for peace of mind.The brake hose is built a lot stronger and made to last a lot longer.(think of under your car)I would flush & install new fluid.
:2tup:

Old 10-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
Gz Rider

Old 10-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
longumd

Well, does it has anything to do with the idle speed that I set? I was play with the screw a little bit when I have trouble starting the bike. I'm not sure whether it is still on the right range or not.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
longumd

In the manual, I see a pain of doing the carb cleaning. How long do you guys expect to remove-disassemble-clean-put it back?
Old 10-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
Gz Rider

Old 10-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Gz Rider