Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #11
longumd

Re: Start Up Problem

Thanks.

Other than the tool kit come with the bike, what else do I need to have for a carb cleaning?

I'm wondering, instead of do a carb cleaning, is it going to work by just adding some Fuel Stabilizer?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #12
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by longumd

I'm wondering, instead of do a carb cleaning, is it going to work by just adding some Fuel Stabilizer?
You can try some SeaFoam or Berrymans b12 in the fuel.It can't hurt,and may save you taking the carb off.
:cool:

Old 10-14-2011, 11:50 PM   #13
mrlmd1

1.) You may have a dead battery just because you are using it to start the bike and not running it enough. Riding only 4 miles will not add any significant charge back into the battery, Letting the bike run at slow idle will not charge a battery either. At about 2500 rpm+ you should get 13.8-14.2V at the battery terminals. Do you have any idea at what rpm or how fast the engine was running when you measured 13.2V? If that's at a speed just above idle it may be normal for the charging system on your bike.
To see if the battery is any good it has to be completely charged back up to 12.8V and put on a load tester.
2.) If you do get a new battery, most likely it will be an AGM or VRLA sealed battery, even if it gets filled with acid at the battery store. Be warned -- You MUST charge it up fully to the 12.8V BEFORE you first use it or it will never hold a full charge, Don't just take a new one home and put it on the bike and use it, it will prematurely fail. Charge it anyway, even if the guy in the store tells you it's good to go and for you to just put it on the bike.
3.) You do not play with the idle adjustment knob to start the bike. The choke is used when the engine is cold or the bike has been sitting for a while.
The idle screw is adjusted to get the proper idle rpm (~1300) only after the engine has warmed up, then you do not touch it again. If the bike won't start, there is some other reason. do not keep playing with that screw adjustment once it is set.

My '99 used to start in 1-2 seconds, maybe 2 revolutions of the engine. Every time. You probably have a dirty carb so first try the stuff Blaine suggested, 1-2 oz/gal of fuel, no more than that, dumped into the tank.

Totally different question for you - your bike is a 2003, with 6000miles. If those tires are original they need to be replaced as they are 8 years old, regardless of how much tread is on them. Check the date stamp on the sidewall for a little rectangular box for the week (first 2 digits) and year (last 2 digits) of the 4 digit code in there to see if those are the original tires.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #14
longumd

Thanks. I'm a student and had several mid-terms last two weeks, so did not have a chance to take care of my bike.

So I bought some Fuel System Revitalizer, get my battery charged this morning, put the revitalizer in. But this time when I push the start button, there I did not hear any rumble from the engine, it is only some croon noise, seems it comes from some electrical part. Not sure what should I check right now.

For the tires, thanks for the suggestion, I checked them when I bought the bike, front tire is about 3 years old and 1 year on the rear tire. I'm thinking of replacing the front tire next spring.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #15
Gz Rider

Old 10-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #16
mrlmd1

You do NOT have to replace the front tire next spring. Save yourself $100.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:56 PM   #17
longumd

1. does the head light come on when you turn the key on? Yes

2. Is the head light bright as usual or dim? As usual in the morning, but dim tonight

3. When you press the start button does the headlight stay reasonably bright or dies it almost completely die? Not completely die, but not bright at all.

So I get the battery back and charged it to full 4 hours ago then disconnect the charger. Now the voltage drops from 12.8 to 12.5~12.6, I suspect there is the problem with the battery. Recently I mostly just use the battery trying to start, maybe this kills the battery.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #18
Gz Rider

Old 10-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #19
longumd

For the starter motor, I guess I know where it is, just on the right of the "SUZUKI" sign? But it is covered, I'm not sure how could I check it to answer your following questions.

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #20
mrlmd1

You may not be leaving the battery on the charger for a long enough time, and what you are measuring is the "surface charge" right after you take it off the charger. Charge it up again for another 4-6 hours, measure the voltage right when you are done, then again an hour later to eliminate (let dissipate) that surface charge, and measure it again the next morning. If the voltage does drop from 12.6-12.8 down a half volt or more, thee battery may not be good. What you have to do then is fully charge it again and get it load tested, which any garage or battery place or Autozone or similar will do for free.
One other thing, brought up here every once in a while - make sure when you turn your bike off you leave the key in the OFF position, not all the way over to PARK, which leaves the rear light on which will drain the battery. No one notices that light on when they walk away from the bike.
Also make sure your battery connections are clean and tight, as is the ground and connection to the starter.