Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #21
longumd

Re: Start Up Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
You may not be leaving the battery on the charger for a long enough time, and what you are measuring is the "surface charge" right after you take it off the charger. Charge it up again for another 4-6 hours, measure the voltage right when you are done, then again an hour later to eliminate (let dissipate) that surface charge, and measure it again the next morning. If the voltage does drop from 12.6-12.8 down a half volt or more, thee battery may not be good. What you have to do then is fully charge it again and get it load tested, which any garage or battery place or Autozone or similar will do for free.
One other thing, brought up here every once in a while - make sure when you turn your bike off you leave the key in the OFF position, not all the way over to PARK, which leaves the rear light on which will drain the battery. No one notices that light on when they walk away from the bike.
Also make sure your battery connections are clean and tight, as is the ground and connection to the starter.
Thanks. That's exactly what I did from last night to this morning. I charged it to full( shows as 12.9V right after get charged). This morning it shows ~12.55V. I toke it to Autozone a week later, I charged the battery in the morning and get it tested at night, they told me I need to charge the battery....

For the "Park" thing, I made this mistake twice in May when I just got it. After that, I check my rear light very carefully every time I turn my bike off.

The connection seems to be fine on the battery, not quite sure about the connection to the starter.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #22
Gz Rider

Old 10-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #23
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I think you need a new battery.

But the bigger question, that I don't see answered, is "Can you start the bike right after it's charged?"
Even if you are loosing some charge over time, you should still be able to get the bike going right after you take it off the charger.

If not, you'll need a new battery plus troubleshoot what's keeping the bike from firing.

**Make sure the kickstand is up.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #24
longumd

"Can you start the bike right after it's charged?"

Few weeks ago, yes, but need to press the start button more than 4 seconds

Then comes with a busy time in school, and I did not touch my bike at all then. My bike is covered whenever it is raining outside in these 2-3 weeks.

Now, no. I can hear a little bit rumble from the engine, then it's gone. If I keep pressing the start button, I could only hear some "croon". Not sure if it is the correct word to express the noise, but it sounds like the starter motor is rotating but cannot get the bike start.

I think the kickstand is up.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #25
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Imagine it was a car.

Does the engine "turn over" like WHIRR WHIRR WHIRR WHIRR" and just not fire to "RUMBLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEE"?
Or does it just make a WHIRR and then make a click sound and seem like nothing is happening?
If you are getting some strong WHIRR WHIRR WHIRRs, then the battery and starter aren't the problem.

Several others have diagnosed the problem, and it's most likely that you need a battery. I feel like this is where your issue is too. But to make sure that you don't have some moisture or corrosion under the starter button, you can also blast it with some WD-40.

You really a good couple of hours where you can focus on this and get it running.

In a pinch, you can boost the bike from your car using jumper cables, but just don't crank the car.
That way you will have enough battery power on tap to diagnose whether or not you have a different starting issue. I mean, you'll be able to try several different things, because the car batter will allow you time to crank the bike as much as you like.

A bike sitting out in the cold like that, with rain and stuff, takes a little extra time to crank, even with a good battery and everything working right.

You need to make sure you're doing all the basic things right, like turning the kill switch "ON" and making sure the kickstand is not down while you are trying to do this. (If the kickstand is down and the bike is in gear, it will not crank.) Choke must also be used in just about all situations.

On the chance that you do it get it running, have your helmet ready. You need to go ahead and take her for a spin to loosen everything up. Then, if you are going to winterize the bike, you can do it the right way and start from scratch.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #26
longumd

Few weeks ago, it is "WHIRR WHIRR WHIRR WHIRR" then Rumble---Start

Now, it is "WHIRR" once then only left the noise I mentioned before, like start motor rotating only without touching the engine.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #27
longumd

Yes I might try to jump start with my car
Old 10-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #28
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

It could very well be the starter gear, but that's not a common failure on these bikes.
Give the starter a whack with a rubber mallet and see if it will engage.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #29
longumd

Guess I should try to jump start it use car's battery first? If it works out then the starter gear is not the issue?
Old 10-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #30
mrlmd1

Do not have the car engine running, just jump it from the battery.