Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 12-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
bjrscj

Start-up Problem

I have had great success on these forums, so I'm hoping the community can help me out again. After letting my bike sit for about 3 weeks, I wanted to take it out today to get the juices flowing in it again. I've had it covered for the past 3 weeks, but when I took the tarp off, there was definitely moisture on the bike. I installed my freshly charged battery and went to crank up the bike, and the engine definitely turned. However, I didn't hear the rumble of the fuel igniting. I cranked until my battery went dead, trying reserve tank and full choke, as well as every other combination. Nothing.

Now it seems to me that the problem would be pretty simple. It seems like the issue should be between the gas tank and the engine. However, I don't know how to go about troubleshooting this. I would appreciate any insight you guys might have. Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
Gz Rider

Re: Start-up Problem

Old 12-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Charge up the battery and try starting the bike with the fuel cock in the PRIME position.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
bjrscj

Thanks for the replies. I did try starting with the petcock at prime, on, and reserve.

The last issue I had was with my carb. I pretty much just took it apart, cleaned it out, and put it back together. I rode the bike for a few weeks after that, 52 miles a day round trip, almost every day. It ran perfectly until the day I put it under the tarp.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
Rookie Rider

Is your tank full with good gas ?

Old 12-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
bjrscj

I filled my tank up a day before letting it sit. I know letting gas sit for a long time isn't good, which is why I was going to try to ride it today. But I didn't think 3 weeks would be long enough for gas to go bad. Is it?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #7
Gz Rider

Old 12-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #8
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Try a drain and fill of the old gas with new gas.
Add carb cleaner for good measure.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
greatmaul

I'm not sure how to do it - I've seen it posted on here somewhere, but I would check for spark as it sounds like the fuel isn't igniting. Could be a fuse rusted or shorted that is killing the ignition system.

You could also disconnect the fuel line from the petcock for a second and put it in prime just to see that the gas is flowing. Has to be either fuel, spark or air. Most likely one of the first two.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
greatmaul

Oh, also, how long did it take for the battery to stop cranking the engine? I'd imagine it should last for quite a bit before going dead. If it stopped in short order, maybe it isn't putting out enough power to start? I think sometimes even if the engine is turning, it isn't enough if the battery is dying. I think after a full charge it should show something like 14.3volts? Anything less is a bad sign.

When I bought mine it had a dying battery, and even though I charged it up the bike still wouldn't start, even though it would turn over.