Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 12-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
JWR

Re: Start-up Problem

If my bike did not start the first time, I would turn off the kill switch, then turn it back on.

This always worked for me.
As stated the GZ will turn over but not start if the battery is not spinning the motor fast enough.

KISS.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
bjrscj

I did kill it a bunch of times. I've tried just about everything with the petcock, kill switch, throttle, and choke.

The engine sounded like it was cranking like it normally does. It probably took about 15-20 minutes of cranking. It generally takes some effort to get it started during the winter, so I just thought that since it was recently cold and sitting for awhile, it may take a little more effort. But after about 15 minutes or so, the cranking sounded weaker and the light flickered off when I tried starting it.

I will definitely try the fuel portion today, and I can also check the spark plug. My battery is charging, and I really don't think it would be that anyway. The last time I had issues, I took the battery to a shop and the guy said it had plenty of life. It could be, but it just doesn't seem like it would be. I'll try to rule out the other two things first. Thanks for the advice.

[EDIT] I checked the fuel and it is flowing perfectly when in the prime position. I did not check the spark plug yet, but it was also fine the last time I took my carb apart. Maybe the moisture from sitting caused it to build up gunk on it.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
greatmaul

I found a tech article from motorcycle cruisers entitled, What to do When Your Motorcycle Won't Start:
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tec...t/viewall.html

I hope you can get it running. It's really frustrating trying to figure things like that out sometimes. Long shot, but watch when you pull the choke lever to see if the cable is still attached. If it's cold it would be very hard to start without the choke.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #14
alantf

Mmmmmmmmmm Went to this page, & all I got was a page asking me to subscribe to a year's worth of magazines. :??:
Old 12-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Mmmmmmmmmm Went to this page, & all I got was a page asking me to subscribe to a year's worth of magazines. :??:
I got the same thing however I just needed to close the mag offer and get to the article.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #16
Rookie Rider

My bike sat for almost 4 weeks with a little bit of gas left in it. It wouldnt start. I charged the battery more then once cause it still wouldnt start. After a few attempts and charges, i pushed the bike to the gas station and filled it up with fresh gas, then when i got home i put STABIL in the full tank, just about 3 tablespoons worth. Charged the battery overnight, the badboy started the next day like nothing ever happened. And i still dont have a choke on my bike, outside temp was 42. I rode today after a month and a half of the bike sitting. Temp today was 45, still no choke, and started right up. Ahhhhhhhh !!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:42 AM   #17
greatmaul

wow, maybe it is gas, then. I didn't know it could go bad that fast.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:08 AM   #18
Water Warrior 2

I am really starting to wonder about the quality of gas in the U.S. compared to Canada. Lynda's GZ sat for the entire first winter with no stabilizer in the tank , old gas and fired right up like a bike ridden on a daily basis. Both of the FI bikes will fire up after months of being parked with no issues except for the Vstrom. it will run for 30 seconds, stop and a second start up will cure whatever is ailing it. Is the Canadian gas that much better or are we just real lucky with our machines?
Old 12-27-2011, 04:53 AM   #19
alantf

Seems like the fuel! We don't have the additives in it like the American fuel. Because the bike is our primary transport, our car can sit for weeks without being used, then it'll fire up at the first touch.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #20
Water Warrior 2

Odd though it may seem about a difference in U.S./Can. fuels they should be the same or nearly the same to meet with the requirements of modern engines and the emission systems. Most if not all newer vehicles in Canada will meet Cali. requirements which are the most stringent of all. Possibly there is a difference of 1 or 2 alternate additives across the border that meets the emission requirements but causes problems in a vehicle parked for a long period of time.
I tried a different brand of gas in the Vstrom a few years ago and after a few weeks I started getting FI codes popping up with the first start up of the day. Discovered the brand was not a top tier fuel and switched back to Chevron. The codes went away.
This might be part of the problem with the GZs not firing up properly. They might need a top tier gas with the leaner fuel/air ratio and a superior additive package in the U.S.