Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 12-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #21
bjrscj

Re: Start-up Problem

Well I'm in the US, but I still hope it is fuel. I'm waiting for a break in the weather to try it out. Thanks again for all the advice. I'll report back when I know more.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #22
Gz Rider

Old 12-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #23
mrlmd1

The gas is not your problem - it takes many months for it to go "bad", much slower in the cold weather. And it's not likely your carb would get gummed up in 3 weeks of sitting.
I would bet your problem is the battery, it's probably partially discharged. Did you measure the battery voltage with anything? What did you charge it with and for how long and how do you know it was charged up? You have to measure the voltage at least a half hour after you charge it, to let the "surface charge" dissipate, so you can measure the true voltage.
You need a fully charged battery (which is 12.6V) to start the bike and light off the plugs. Try jumping it from a non-running car and see if it starts. If it still won't start you will have to pull off the spark plug wire or the plug and see if you get any spark when you crank over the engine.
If you don't do this stepwise you will be turning your wheels forever and not solve anything.
You may also have flooded the bike trying to start it and that is a whole separate problem.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #24
bjrscj

I drained the original gas and filled up with new stuff. My battery was fully charged, and I made sure the battery was still viable (my charger has an indicator light if the battery is bad) When I hooked everything back up, I went to crank up the bike, and all I heard was a click. The last time I tried to start the bike, the engine would turn, but the fuel wouldn't ignite. Now, I press the starter in and nothing happens, and when I release the button, I hear a soft "click." The engine isn't even turning now. Any suggestions on where to go from here? What could my previous actions have done to cause this new dilemma? Also, I have a few questions below.

1. If I try jump starting the bike from a car (hook up car battery to bike battery, I assume), will that potentially damage the circuitry on the bike?

2. It seems like my engine could very well be flooded, since I did try to start it over and over the last time. However, would that really cause the bike not to crank at all?
Old 12-31-2011, 05:20 PM   #25
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrscj
I drained the original gas and filled up with new stuff. My battery was fully charged, and I made sure the battery was still viable (my charger has an indicator light if the battery is bad) When I hooked everything back up, I went to crank up the bike, and all I heard was a click. The last time I tried to start the bike, the engine would turn, but the fuel wouldn't ignite. Now, I press the starter in and nothing happens, and when I release the button, I hear a soft "click." The engine isn't even turning now. Any suggestions on where to go from here? What could my previous actions have done to cause this new dilemma? Also, I have a few questions below.

1. If I try jump starting the bike from a car (hook up car battery to bike battery, I assume), will that potentially damage the circuitry on the bike?

2. It seems like my engine could very well be flooded, since I did try to start it over and over the last time. However, would that really cause the bike not to crank at all?
Your bike may be flooded to the point were it is locked & can't turn over.You need to check your oil to see if there is fuel in it.Remove the spark plug & see if the engine will turn over with the plug out.
If you are boosting from a car,just make sure that the vehicle is not running.
:cool:

Old 01-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #26
bjrscj

I hooked up the bike to my car battery (not running) and tried to start it. The same thing happened. When I pressed the starter, I heard a clicking noise down by the battery, but no turn over. I also checked the oil window, and it looked dark, like no gas has entered the oil. I will try pulling the spark plug if that's what you all think is the next best move, and I'm open to any more ideas.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #27
Gz Rider

Old 01-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #28
bjrscj

When on the stand, I don't see oil. When held upright, it is about 3/4 full. It is around the level I fill it up to when I do my oil changes.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #29
bjrscj

OK, I just took out the spark plug, and there was no corrosion on it. It appeared to be fine. I tried starting the bike without the spark plug in, as recommended, but still nothing. When I press the starter, there is absolutely nothing other than a soft click from the battery area when I release the button. I don't think it's the battery, as it's charged and the charger says it's still good. The horn doesn't sound weak, and the lights work fine and don't dim when I press the starter. I'd appreciate any more advice you all have.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #30
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrscj
When I pressed the starter, I heard a clicking noise down by the battery,
That sounds like the starter relay doing what it's supposed to do. If the starter relay is clicking, then this is opening the path for the current to go from the battery to the starter motor. Next step is to get a meter, & while someone holds the starter button in, test what voltage (if any) you're getting between the lug on the starter motor (with the rubber boot pulled off) & a good earth (ground?) on the chassis. Let us know what you find.

Have you tested the battery voltage between the battery terminals, and the starter relay (live side) to chassis. If you got the same result with the car battery (no start), this leads me to believe that the problem lies somewhere between the battery & the starter relay.