Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
OldNTired

Problems related?

Hi. Well, got a new problem, or I should say questions.
History:
Two days ago, after a 40 minute ride at 75-to-80 MPH at 94 degrees warm, and humid weather, when I parked I saw that ONE exhaust pipe (right side) had discolored. If both had, no problem, but why just one?
The next day, after pretty much the same ride at the same speed, and for the same amount of time, the entire LEFT side of the engine (along with my jeans and boot) were covered in oil, as was the entire lower left side back to the rectifier.
The oil level was halfway between 'too much' and 'not enough' before the second ride. The level now is just at the 'add' mark.
Can any one think of any reason? Of any link between the two?
I last checked the valve clearance about 5000 miles ago. The bike has a little over 10,000 miles on it.
No, I haven't had time to work on it. After a few beautiful days we are now caught in that series of storms that are dumpimg inches of rain. I need to clean the bike outside, and because of other 'projects' I don't have the room to work on it in the garage. I'm hoping for a clue, so when I get the chance I can make this an afternoon job by having whatever parts I might need handy.

Extra info: air box is clean, filter is fine, oil filter has 1500 miles on it, bike ran more than fine before this and still does - except for the leak!

Thanks for any help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-19-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Problems related?

The pipe color may indicate a needed valve check/adjustment. I do think you were working the bike fairly hard in those conditions at that speed. An oil leak on the left side might indicate a bad seal where the shifter comes out of the tranny. You did say left side I hope. Short term memory loss here at the moment. AKA senior moment.
Hmm, maybe the seal where the shaft comes out of the tranny that the front sprocket is mounted on. I'm guessing at these but it is a starting point none the less.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #3
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The pipe color may indicate a needed valve check/adjustment.
Agreed, i'm thinking a tight valve adj causing slightly low compression and an overly rich running condition bluing the exhaust pipe ? I'm am surprised the engine was able to pull 75 mph with a tight valve. :??:

The only other thing I can think of if the valves are within spec is too hot ambient temps to hard of an engine load.

The oil leak, clean the residual oil mess, sprinkle the suspected clean area with baby powder and take the bike on the highway, the origin of the oil leak will be easily found.
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)

Old 07-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNTired
after a 40 minute ride at 75-to-80 MPH at 94 degrees warm, and humid weather,
If this is "normal" riding for you, I reckon you need a bigger bike. You're knocking the bejazus out of the poor little GZ.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Clean the area up and see if you can determine where the oil came from.

I would suspect it's going to be the left side exhaust gasket or from the head gasket area on that side... which I hope for your sake it is not.
Check the "S" hose that runs between the crankcase and the air box. If you are lucky, that dislodged and you had some spray come out. However, if that were the case, you could have noticed the bike lose a good bit of power and start to bet sluggish and/or bucky.

You have to figure out where it came from before you can fix it

Old 07-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
OldNTired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The pipe color may indicate a needed valve check/adjustment. I do think you were working the bike fairly hard in those conditions at that speed. An oil leak on the left side might indicate a bad seal where the shifter comes out of the tranny. You did say left side I hope. Short term memory loss here at the moment. AKA senior moment.
Hmm, maybe the seal where the shaft comes out of the tranny that the front sprocket is mounted on. I'm guessing at these but it is a starting point none the less.
Agree with the idea of possibly needing a valve adjustment. It does confuse me though, when I last set them I set both exhaust valves the same. Maybe something in the specs makes it harder on one valve than the other, or a heat difference, or material differences. >
I know about those senior moments, seems like I live in one long one some days! But, The area near the shifter was the cleanest area. Also, the oil starts at the very front of the engine, and all over from top to bottom. Then the air flow sprayed it all the way to the rear fender.
And yes, I'll take the blame for pushing it on a hot day. It seldom gets that hot here, and going that fast helps cool you off!
After I get a chance (still raining hard here) to clean it up, I'll be checking for the leak, starting with the shifter area. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
OldNTired

[quote=Road_Clam]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Water Warrior":1eul0oa1
The pipe color may indicate a needed valve check/adjustment.
Agreed, i'm thinking a tight valve adj causing slightly low compression and an overly rich running condition bluing the exhaust pipe ? I'm am surprised the engine was able to pull 75 mph with a tight valve. :??:

The only other thing I can think of if the valves are within spec is too hot ambient temps to hard of an engine load.

The oil leak, clean the residual oil mess, sprinkle the suspected clean area with baby powder and take the bike on the highway, the origin of the oil leak will be easily found.[/quote:1eul0oa1]

Yes, and not only hot but a very high humidity day. One of those days where they warn us old folks not to be outside.
So, after I get it cleaned I'll steal my grandkids baby powder and see what is where.
Thanks.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
OldNTired

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNTired
after a 40 minute ride at 75-to-80 MPH at 94 degrees warm, and humid weather,
If this is "normal" riding for you, I reckon you need a bigger bike. You're knocking the bejazus out of the poor little GZ.
Ha ha! No, not normal on the temperature or the humidity. But that little bike has for years been driven at those speeds at least once a week. Never a problem before now. Maybe the combination of heat and humidity just overheated the poor thing.
A bigger bike wouldn't hurt though, especially for a long trip. Donations gladly accepted!
Old 07-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
OldNTired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Clean the area up and see if you can determine where the oil came from.

I would suspect it's going to be the left side exhaust gasket or from the head gasket area on that side... which I hope for your sake it is not.
Check the "S" hose that runs between the crankcase and the air box. If you are lucky, that dislodged and you had some spray come out. However, if that were the case, you could have noticed the bike lose a good bit of power and start to bet sluggish and/or bucky.

You have to figure out where it came from before you can fix it
No luck with the 'S' hose, it's there and on tight.
The head gasket sounds a bit ominous. I priced one, seems cheap enough, and that tells me it might be a lot of work to replace it. Just guessing here, but wouldn't I have lost a good bit of power and speed if that is the problem. I don't know, just thinking and hoping.
Any idea how big of a job it is?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Get your own baby powder. You will find it is nice to sprinkle some in your boots and undies plus you smell so nice. Oh..............of topic again. :roll: :roll: