Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #21
Water Warrior 2

Re: Problems related?

Woo Hoo, looks like a LEO bashing party. In all honesty we have to realize different parts of the world have different ways to uphold the law and persecute the public. I feel very fortunate here in the GWN. Personally I have never been mistreated or unjustly accused of an offence. I have however been arrested for going way too fast in a car years ago. Yeah, I really deserved that one. A lot of the misgivings of law enforcement is caused by the politicians and their desire to control the public at large. It is all about money in the gov bank accounts too. LEOs find themselves between a rock and a hard place all too often. Even here we get a few bad apples while the majority do what is best but the public seems to paint them all with the same brush. Yes, I am defending the LEOs as I know them. It is a very under appreciated job and not likely to make them overly rich at retirement. I hate to think of my world without law enforcement and the dedicated men and women out there.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #22
OldNTired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
5 feet of water on major roads is major trouble. That much water can wash out roadbeds below the pavement and then some one falls through into an ugly hole. A small watermain leak can accomplish the same thing and no one is the wiser until a bus crashes down into a pit. Hopefully no one gets hurt and the repairs are job security for the maintenance guys who make things right again.
Comes to mind an event one of my coworkers did. He fired up two major pumps full tilt in a given area. The pressure increase blew fire hydrants into the sky like rockets. Just plain stupid. Water can be a powerful force, do major damage and really is capable of threatening a person's life.
Hello everyone.
No real progress yet.
I just figured I'd post so you all wouldn't think that either it was fixed
or that I gave up on it.
Neither has happened. I've just had a few problems lately.

Anyway, today I replaced my 22mm socket (don't ask, but never lend! )
and tried to check valve setting.
I could NOT get a (any size) feeler guage under either exhaust stem.
Yes, I have in the past, but today it just didn't happen. Amazing.
So, tomorrow I'll try again. It might just have been me today.
But how could the thing have run?

Ps: No offense meant the other day in regards to cops. Ok, at least not a LOT.
Some are OK. At least that's what I've heard.
In the end, they are just like the rest of us; good, bad, and the norm.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #23
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNTired

Today I replaced my 22mm socket (don't ask, but never lend! )
Well, as long as the engine was cold when you did the check, then I'm pretty sure you'll get the same results tomorrow.
That would certainly explain the overheating issue... Now, not to be ominous, but I really hope that overheating issue hasn't also lead to something warping which is why you now have an oil leak from the top end. Very similar thing happened to me in a Geo Metro Convertible. I took the previous owner's word that his repairs were solid when I bought it. The timing wasn't set right, combined with an air leak, and before too much longer, I had a warped head on my hands and a seeping oil leak from under the cam seal when the engine was running. Not the way I had planned on spending my student loan refund.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #24
OldNTired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNTired

Today I replaced my 22mm socket (don't ask, but never lend! )
Well, as long as the engine was cold when you did the check, then I'm pretty sure you'll get the same results tomorrow.
That would certainly explain the overheating issue... Now, not to be ominous, but I really hope that overheating issue hasn't also lead to something warping which is why you now have an oil leak from the top end. Very similar thing happened to me in a Geo Metro Convertible. I took the previous owner's word that his repairs were solid when I bought it. The timing wasn't set right, combined with an air leak, and before too much longer, I had a warped head on my hands and a seeping oil leak from under the cam seal when the engine was running. Not the way I had planned on spending my student loan refund.
Finally had some time today without rain and such!
Those valves were so tight it took a while to get them loose enough to adjust.
Set both to 4.5. Double checked them.
Then, I washed the engine. Powdered it.
Put everything back together, and started it up.
It ran fine! A bit mre noise than before the adjustment, but that is OK.

Ran it for about 15 minutes until the rain started again, varying the speed
between low idle to about 3500 RPM,,
but no leaks!
Tomorrow we are supposed to get 'heavy thunderstorms', high (60mph)
winds, large hail, and lightening.
Still, hoping to get a break in there to take it for
a longer ride on the highway. Temp they say will be 90 (heat index of 100), and it will
be humid, so it should duplicate the conditions of the other day.

PS for Water Warrior: The powder made the bike smell nice.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #25
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Glad to hear that it's all looking up.

While running for those 15 minutes of varying speeds, I am assuming you did this with the bike stationary, right?
Be careful there as well. People have come on here before and told stories of cooking their bikes because they left them idling in the driveway to "warm up" for about 15-20 minutes only to come outside and find smoke and discolored metal.

Maybe run a good sturdy fan in front of the engine when doing something like this?

Old 07-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #26
bpdchief

Oh Man... If I had any feelings left - you would have hurt them with those bad cop remarks !!! :poke2: This used to be me looking for and watching meth labs :hide:
A terribly unappreciated field of endeavor, and yet, a necessary evil in this world. If people were only more civil to one another, there would be less need for crabby old Irish cop bastards like me . No one wants us around until something goes wrong and then once it's cleared up they want us to go away again... makes me feel like Rodney Dangerfield - "Ahh, I don't get NO respect"

:lol:
Old 07-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #27
OldNTired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Glad to hear that it's all looking up.

While running for those 15 minutes of varying speeds, I am assuming you did this with the bike stationary, right?
Be careful there as well. People have come on here before and told stories of cooking their bikes because they left them idling in the driveway to "warm up" for about 15-20 minutes only to come outside and find smoke and discolored metal.

Maybe run a good sturdy fan in front of the engine when doing something like this?
Nope, no fan, but I did have a 40 MPH
(at minimum) helping out! I guess these storms are good for somethig.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #28
OldNTired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpdchief
Oh Man... If I had any feelings left - you would have hurt them with those bad cop remarks !!! :poke2: This used to be me looking for and watching meth labs :hide:
A terribly unappreciated field of endeavor, and yet, a necessary evil in this world. If people were only more civil to one another, there would be less need for crabby old Irish cop bastards like me . No one wants us around until something goes wrong and then once it's cleared up they want us to go away again... makes me feel like Rodney Dangerfield - "Ahh, I don't get NO respect"

:lol:
Sorry, didn't mean any of it personally! Actually, I have had a LOT of cop friends over the years. Back when it was legal, I'd even load ammo for their off-duty weapons. Unforunately, it was still the same: some good, some bad, some neutral. Then again, sometimes I am good, sometimes
I'm bad, most times I'm just human. Seems like we all are like that. And I would never hold you being a cop against you. Well, maybe unless you were out to arrest me!
Old 07-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #29
Water Warrior 2

Just don't do anything that requires an arrest.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:59 AM   #30
alantf

My point was that it's the TRAFFIC COPS that I'm against. Both in England & over here, their role seems to be that of money gatherers for the government. I've not seen the slightest indication that they're in any way interested in trying to reduce accidents & deaths. I've seen many incidents where someone's made a genuine mistake, but instead of having a quiet word of advice they immediately go into "FINE" mode, because getting money out of motorists is easier than working for a living, & the more money they make, the better they're thought of by their bosses.

As an example, I was 6 MPH over the limit. This was genuinely accidental. I'd taken my eyes off the speedo to check that the good straight road (with no real reason for a limit) was clear, then reduced my speed to the limit. But it was enough for the money gatherer in uniform to issue me with a €100 ($150?) fine.