Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 08-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #31
geezer

Re: Little Help Please :)

it takes 10 mins to get the tank off if your not good with tools. take it off and drain it, then remove the strainer with the two phillips head screws under the tank, tada. go for it man. then with the tank off the carb is self explanitory, get r done

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #32
dspdr

Little Help Please :)-carb OR head gasket

Hello I have a 2007 GZ250 that was sitting for about a year. I just put in new battery, drained & changed the gas and changed the oil. Now wehen I ride it there is a little smoke that comes out from between the top and lower engine casing. Also when I stop and let go of the throttle the engine cuts off. I turned the idle up and it works for that ride but the next day its back to cutting off. Do I need a CARB rebuild or would a HEAD gasket leak cause it to cut off???? There is also a lack of power when riding/... HELP?????
Old 08-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #33
geezer

the smoke must be some oil burning off so you might have an oil leak at the headgasket. i have one there but it doesnt smoke at all so maybe your bike has a really bad headgasket but i have never seen one smoke before. first thing you should do is wash the bike if its dirty paying special attention to that area. also yea clean the entire fuel system. just gotta do it man

Old 08-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #34
Gz Rider

Re: Little Help Please :)-carb OR head gasket

Old 08-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #35
mrlmd1

By choke closed, you mean ON? By choke open, you mean OFF? These bikes do not have a choke like on a car with a butterfly valve closing off the air supply. It is an "enricher circuit" supplying higher than normal amounts of fuel to enrich the mixture accomplishing basically the same thing.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #36
mrlmd1

If the intake to the petcock in the normal RUN position is clogged or restricted due to crap and debris in the tank plugging up the little screen over the intake, it would also get clogged in the PRIME position as this draws fuel from closer to the bottom of the tank. I doubt the petcock is your problem. You can test fuel flow through it by removing the hose on the bottom and applying a vacuum to the petcock and see how fast it flows in the run position, and how fast it flows in prime position, Just be sure to have a container to catch it in.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #37
Gz Rider

Old 08-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #38
dspdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspdr
Hello I have a 2007 GZ250 that was sitting for about a year. I just put in new battery, drained & changed the gas and changed the oil. Now when I ride it there is a little smoke that comes out from between the top and lower engine casing. Also when I stop and let go of the throttle the engine cuts off. I turned the idle up and it works for that ride but the next day its back to cutting off. Do I need a CARB rebuild or would a HEAD gasket leak cause it to cut off???? There is also a lack of power when riding/... HELP?????
I see four issues here.

*******Check the oil before you do anything else and keep a close eye one it***********

First, the engine should not smoke. As geezer points out you must be burning some oil somewhere as normal engine exhaust is not usually visible. I assume the smoke is whiteish indicating oil burning and not black indicating possible carburator problems. I also saw your post regarding your inoperable choke cable. Have you resolved that? If I'm not mistaken running the bike with the choke closed (or closed partially) would result in black smoke from the exhaust once the bike is warmed up. Can someone back me up on that?

Second I'm not sure where exactly the smoke leak is. Can you be more specific. If you don't already have it, download the service manual and parts manual to better identify where the leak is. Alternately you could post a pic with an arrow.

Third, the cutting off issue may just be idle adjustment which should be 1300 RPM (+100 RPM). The choke must be open after the bike has warmed up. If the bike will not hold this idle without cutting off, I might clean the carb and see what that did. Sitting a year (and maybe more for all you know) usually leads to a plugged carb. I don't think a head gasket leak would cause you not to be able to idle unless it was really bad. You may easily have a head gasket leak though that is causing the smoke.

Fourth, the lack of power could be alot of things. Improper choke position could be one. When you say lacks power, how fast can you get this bike to go? How are you defining the lack of power?

For more help post more details on the color and location of the smoke leak. Tell us if you are able to properly operate your choke now.

yes the smoke was white. it has stopped but it was coming out the first two days after getting it started after a year. The oil level is fine..i am about to order the choke cable and control from a guyy here on the site, i just got the manual.. now to the idle, i use my wire that i have attached to the choke cable to start the bike. once started i ride it for about a block or more and then i return the choke to the normal off position. the bike is a little sluggish but it runs at a reduced speed compared to how it ran a yr ago. but when i stopp and release the throttle the bike goes to idle and then cuts off. it will staart right back up but i have to keep on the throttle no matter how warmed up it is. I think i need to rebuild the carb , but the smoke on the 1st two days threw me off... A person told me if may be head gasket but i had never heard of that making the bike cut off. thank you all for the quick replies..
Old 08-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #39
blaine

I would say that it is just residue burning off after sitting around for a year.You can try some Sea Foam in a tank of fuel to see if it helps.It may take a couple of days to see the full effect.It may save you taking the carb off.
:cool:

Old 08-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #40
Gz Rider