Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Steveoh

Rebuilt my GZ. Now starter won't even click.

I recently bought a 2004 GZ for $800. It had sat in the weather for a year and I found it had been dumped. When the front brake pads fell off on the ride home, I decided to go through the whole bike.

The wiring harness was chopped up so I just tore it, the extra lights and wiring off and replaced that. I had to switch out the plug ins from the handle bar wiring, so I did this as I lengthen the wiring by 4" to fit the new handle bars. All tested out on the ohm meter. I also cleaned the carb, adjusted the valves,

The foot stand switch seems to test fine as does the new start/stop switches, . Fuses are all checked, battery is new, replaced the ignitor.
starter relay, coil, etc all seem to test ok, The ignitor didn't
Lights, horn, etc work.

I just have no spark and no juice to the starter. It is such a simple wiring system, I am just missing something.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
geezer

Re: Rebuilt my GZ. Now starter won't even click.

before you over think things, apply power to the starter, does it spin? what about the starter solenoid? sounds like you handy with a volt meter so check and see if your getting voltage at the starter, if not go to the next point which should be the solenoid and keep going till you find your opening. so your not using the original bars, are they painted? im not sure if the handlebar controls are grounded to the bars. some bike do
Old 07-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

You might want to double check the starter button. It is actually 2 switches in one. Push to start and it will disconnect the headlight while the starter whirls. Release and the starter disengages and the headlight comes back on. You might have a bad connection from the long overdue cleaning up.

Hmm, hey guys and gals. Did I just describe that right or am I thinking of another Suzuki ?? M-50 maybe.... :??:

Old 07-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
You might want to double check the starter button. It is actually 2 switches in one. Push to start and it will disconnect the headlight while the starter whirls. Release and the starter disengages and the headlight comes back on. You might have a bad connection from the long overdue cleaning up.

Hmm, hey guys and gals. Did I just describe that right or am I thinking of another Suzuki ?? M-50 maybe.... :??:
The wiring diagram only shows one contact, for the ignition, at the starter button. Must be another bike you're talking about.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Yeah, haven't had the GZ for a couple years and wasn't totally sure anymore. Both other bikes work as I mentioned and can be a headache if the switch gets all corroded by weather and such.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
Steveoh

The headlight stays on when I start (try) the GZ. On the 800 Intruder, the headlight does disconnect while starting.

I am beginning to believe that the problem is the in the wiring harness I installed. I'm just waiting for the garage to cool off a bit before testing wires.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:11 AM   #7
KrazeeMyke

Re: Re: Rebuilt my GZ. Now starter won't even click.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveoh

I just have no spark and no juice to the starter. It is such a simple wiring system, I am just missing something.

Maybe silly question, but. ....Are you engaging the clutch? There is a safety switch. Bike wont engage starter unless in Neutral and clutch engaged/applied.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
geezer

might be a good idea to ride two up with someone more experienced so he or hopefully she can teach you. this is getting crazy, yall need to get the basics down or your gonna get hurt eventually
Old 07-30-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer
might be a good idea to ride two up with someone more experienced so he or hopefully she can teach you. this is getting crazy, yall need to get the basics down or your gonna get hurt eventually
I think you meant this for here.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4620&p=52597#p52597
:cool:

Old 07-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
Steveoh

Geezer??? I wish that I had known that I should not test a motorcycle battery like a 9V battery, with my tongue, it hurts.

Anyway, yes, the bike is in neutral and the clutch lever is zipped locked closed. I am still testing the wiring harness since this is the only electrical item that I replaced before the bike would not start.