Old 03-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #11
mainlinecoffee

Did the ural survive?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainlinecoffee View Post
It was my understanding that if the sidecar is hinged to the bike that you still counter steer and lean in,is this Incorrect? Would it only change if it was solid mounted?
To the best of my knowledge there are solidly mounted side cars although I seem to remember a very exotic rig with a side car that leaned with the bike. The engineering and geometry would be a big challenge to get right for a proper set-up.
For a home built rig I would likely try for a solid mount with a couple inches of suspension on the car. This could be accomplished using a shock from a small bike. Your attachments to the bike frame would have to incorporate adjustment capabilities for alignment of the car wheel to track properly. Either that or make it so the side wheel can be adjusted for toe-in or toe-out. I have no clue if castor adjustments would be needed.
Just had a thought. Use the forks and wheel from a smaller bike. Built in suspension and if you can figure a way to mount with the triple tree you have a built in adjuster. Just figure a way to lock it when toe in etc is correct. Also use the side car brake( a drum brake would work)slaved to the rear brake of the bike. A bit complicated but doable at home with some scrounging and used parts.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:58 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Did the ural survive?
Yup it fared pretty well. The front wheel was destroyed and the windshield was broke when Don went through it. Don had a separated shoulder but healed up nicely. It was hauled home on a flat deck and Don went to the hospital for a check up. Quite an introduction to the side car life but Don wasn't afraid of a repeat. It has been a few years now since that happened.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
mainlinecoffee

That's awesome that don made it out...I have seen rigs that use sprockets and chains to adjust the car tire to that of the bikes angle but I think I would have to be a Mensa gold star to figure all that out. I was thinking about a rotating plate for adjustments like on a skil saw and just weld it when I get it proper.. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836987 this is a link to a guy that made a pretty sweet leaning car with a solid mounted shock and tire,I figure use a mc tire and it would ware evenly like the others. He has a clip of it in action somewhere
Old 03-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
That's awesome that don made it out...I have seen rigs that use sprockets and chains to adjust the car tire to that of the bikes angle but I think I would have to be a Mensa gold star to figure all that out. I was thinking about a rotating plate for adjustments like on a skil saw and just weld it when I get it proper.. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836987 this is a link to a guy that made a pretty sweet leaning car with a solid mounted shock and tire,I figure use a mc tire and it would ware evenly like the others. He has a clip of it in action somewhere
WOW!!!!! That guy has some serious talent. The video shows some really nice cornering ability too. Hats off to this fellow.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #16
mainlinecoffee

That's what I'm saying,it's a simple design and it seems to work well
Old 03-24-2014, 11:57 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

The only thing I did not notice was a way to align the rig. I would certainly want a method to correct the toe in or toe out. Other than that it is a slick design. Very simple and light weight. Initially I had my doubts about the width of the side car frame until I saw how far it would lean over for cornering.