Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 05-17-2009, 04:55 AM   #1
alantf

brake pedal position.

In most (all?) of the bike photos I've seen on the site, it seems as though the brake pedal is set pretty high up. This looks as though you have to ride with your toe under the pedal then move all of your foot from the peg to the pedal when you want to use the brake. Mine came set up like this when I bought it (new), but I've set the pedal to the Suzuki spec of around 2" above the peg, which means that my toe is hovering just above the pedal when I'm riding, so I can press down without having to move my foot. Two questions - why do they come with the pedal not set to Suzuki spec, & does everyone feel comfortable having to move their whole foot. My personal feeling is that those few milliseconds might make all the difference in an emergency stop.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
adrianinflorida

Re: brake pedal position.

I'd rather the pedal set below my foot when it's resting on the peg, I'll have to adjust mine when I get a chance
Old 05-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
This looks as though you have to ride with your toe under the pedal then move all of your foot from the peg to the pedal when you want to use the brake.

does everyone feel comfortable having to move their whole foot. My personal feeling is that those few milliseconds might make all the difference in an emergency stop.
Excellent points all.

I can't speak for the brain dead dealers.....as they should have a "set up" man to explain things like that to new owners and adjust them to fit YOU.

It makes a difference how long your legs are. Short legs, knee not bent much, places your toe more vertical at the peg (me). Longer legs, knee bent a lot makes your toe more horizontal (and lower) at the pedal. A similar thing happens with the shifter......which is also affected by the thickness of your boots.

The brake should absolutley be adjusted so that the pedal is UNDER your foot and not over.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

I have adjusted the shifter and brake pedal on every bike I have owned. Foot controls are paramount in safety and control. With proper control you also get comfort and the pleasure of a bike that fits. The same goes for hand controls, everything must fit the rider. In a cage you can have adjustable pedals, steering wheel(tilt and telescoping), seats with lumbar support and mirrors. Why not get the most from your bike too ?
Old 05-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
Tranquility

Quote:
The brake should absolutley be adjusted so that the pedal is UNDER your foot and not over.
I went on my first Group Run yesterday (a shortie @ 45 miles) and felt, for the first time, the foot brake is set too high. I have to keep reminding myself to ask the question "is this something I HAVE to live with or can I modify it?"

Is this an easy adjustment? Similar question regarding the shift: easy adjustment?

Old 05-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility
Is this an easy adjustment? Similar question regarding the shift: easy adjustment?
Yes, both are relatively easy. I commented somewhere just yesterday, maybe in another forum, that if you can't figure out those two things, you shouldn't be messing with your bike at all !!

The shifter adjustment is done by loosening a nut at each end of the long connecting rod (one nut turns "backwards") and then turning the rod to move the pedal; re-tighten the nuts.

The brake is a 3 step proceedure......well 4 actually if you are adjusting the pedal height DOWN.
Back by the rear brake is a lever attached to the hub and a rod attached to that. The rod is threaded and has an adjusting nut.
1) Loosen that adjusting nut until there is a LOT of slack.
2) Move to the actual brake pedal. Operate it a time or 2 with your hand and notice what stops it when it springs back up. The stop is a bolt that is adjustable, after loosening a lock nut.
Adjust the pedal stop so that it is barely below your foot....or barely touching....in your normal riding posture.
3) Go back to the back and "tighten" the adjusting nut until the brake is almost applied but not quite. Easier to get this right with the wheel OFF the floor; adjust until it just barely drags and then back it off 1 or 2 clicks unil it just barely DOESN'T drag.
4) Lastly, check the operation of the rear brake light. The switch is about half way between the pedal and the back wheel, down by the operating mechanism and is attached to a little spring. If it doesn't operate/release the light properly, you adjust it by turning the big plastic nut that holds it into the bracket......(I think that's how the GZ adjustment is. On some, you turn the actual switch body.)

Good luck!

If you get all that right, then you are qualified to fix ANYTHING on your bike !! :roll: :biggrin:
Old 05-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
The stop is a bolt that is adjustable, after loosening a lock nut.
and the bolt (with lock nut) is UNDER the brake pedal.

and yes, you do have to turn the switch body to adjust the brake light.

It must be all of two weeks since easy worked on a gz, & us "senior citizens" have what the doctors term "short term memory loss" :whistle: :whistle: :2tup: :roll: I was going to add something, but I can't remember what :roll:
Old 05-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
us "senior citizens" have what the doctors term "short term memory loss"
Indeed. And I have "selective hearing loss" too. I can't hear my wife any more.....but that condition has been developing for a LONG time!! :whistle: :crackup

And thanks for filling in the "blanks" !
Old 05-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
Tranquility

Thanks for the step by step instructions guys!
I will keep you posted on my progress. I still need to build a center stand to get my wheel(s) off the ground. That will make this (and future jobs) much easier. Now, I know I saw the how-to on that somewhere around here ... which index was that again? Hmmmmm...
Old 05-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

The owner's manual will also give you a nice step by step brake pedal adjustment procedure. Just bear in mind that their measurements are not part of the real world. The manual sets the pedal too high for humans if I remember correctly.