Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 02-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #21
MLGTIB

Re: Rebuilt the engine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
A sprocket is a sprocket. I got mine through the dealer; about $16 and 3-day delivery, steel.
For that price, I didn't even look around. I think they charged me 1/2 labor to install it; about $35.

The replacements don't have the rubber shock section but if you don't speed-shift, you shouldn't even notice that.

I will go to the dealer and find out. Thanks for the info Easy. :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-27-2010, 12:09 AM   #22
SlyFinkley

MLGTIB,

Thanks for the confidence boost.
I have re-built a few car motors before, but the bike is a bit foreign to me.
Now I will gladly grab the toolkit & have a go. ( Even if I need to post here, or call in a favour to finish the job.)
:techy:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=124
:chop: :chop: :chop:
Old 04-22-2010, 11:02 PM   #23
oneyunguy

I rebuilt my engine too, but I do have 32,000 kms. I did it over a winter. I did some work to the cylinder and oversized it a 'lil. Then put a new piston and rings and all new gaskets all around. It was fun and rewarding at the same time. I was thankfull to have a garage at that time. I couldn't wait for good weather to go riding again after it was all back together. At the same time I put together some bars with blue led's in them and installed them on the frame pointing to the engine.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #24
emory70

buddy of mine is a former race car builder/driver. a number of years ago, he bought a brand new sportster with the intention of customizing it. he took it home and tore it down to the last nut and bolt. cleaned it up and put it back together (as he put it), with his customizing touches and paint. when he took it to the dealer to sell it on consignment, the guy at the dealership took it for a ride, and said it was the fastest 883 he'd ever ridden, and wanted to know what my buddy had done to it. he just shrugged. in capable hands, even a brand new machine can use a little love.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #25
GTGZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLGTIB
Although I didn't HAVE to replace the rings or cylinder base gasket, I figured I might as well for my own peace of mind.
Anytime you remove the cylinder head you should always replace the base gasket or you will have a oil leak, don't ask me how I know.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #26
GTGZ

If you ignore the popping sound and keep running the engine you could end up with a cracked cylinder head, don't ask me how I know.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb55 ... yl%20Head/
Old 08-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #27
Canuck

I recently posted the same problem... sucks to know ill have to rebuild to remedy but...oh well
Old 08-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #28
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck
I recently posted the same problem... sucks to know ill have to rebuild to remedy but...oh well
Wait a sec.
That's not exactly what he said.
He said if you ignore it, and don't fix it, it COULD end up with a major repair.

At this point, I don't think you know if your situation is the same as his or not.

Further, replacing the cylinder head is not often referred to as "rebuilding" the engine.

Jumping to conclusions can often lead to undesirable results.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #29
Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLGTIB
Hey everybody. So I have an 05 GZ with about 6100 miles on it. Since I bought it in September, I noticed that every time I started it up it would make this popping sound. I recently took it to the dealer to replace the brakes and the mechanic noticed it to. When I went to pick the bike up he informed me that on the front of the engine there was a nut missing and the stud was just hanging freely. So I ordered up a whole bunch of parts and got to work. I replaced the head gaskets, all the studs, and Piston rings since I was already in the engine. I finished all the repairs yesterday and when I started her up it was beautiful, not a single noise other than the engine running of course. It sounds like a new bike. In order to remedy this problem from happening again I just added some locktite to all the studs. I rode it for about 50 miles and am very happy with the results. Once I have a chance to upload a short video of the first start up I will. :2tup:

that is the same thing that i have ... a loose or stripped stud hanging down and against the bottom half of the engine..

the only way to fix this is to take the engine apart... there is no way to get loctite in and effectively re-install a stud/nut, unless the top block of the engine is dismantled.

what a shitty thing to have happen... without the expertise to take apart the engine etc...im up shit creek without a paddle..
Old 10-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #30
Canuck

I'm pretty fortunate for this post.

To have someone describe EXACTLY the same situation I'm in is pretty lucky.

Takes alot of potential expensive guess work out of it.

Currently the bike still has a hanging stud/nut under the two exhaust pipes. Makes a loud POP upon startup, and goes away after being ridden awhile. However when taking off in first gear it definetely "snap crackle and pop's" until it reaches about 15-20 km/h then it sound normal.

In the future im hoping to do the same as this post. new gaskets new stud/nut etc

thanks again for this post!