Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
schooler94

I can't figure it out..

Hey guys, I just joined the forums, and I've been having some problems with my '07 GZ250. Last Thursday night I rode it to school and it was pretty damn freezing after class (High 50's, cold for me) and my seat was wet with dew. I hopped on it and tried to start it and I wouldn't turn over. The battery was fine, the starter was fine, but it just wouldn't start. So I tried to start it with the choke all the way on for quite some time before it finally fired up. I let it warm up for a few minuted and froze my ass off the whole way home with no problems. I let it sit in my backyard for a few days while I was busy working and whatever, then I tried to start it up and it wouldn't start again! It wasn't even cold outside, probably like 75 degrees. Anyway, whenever I would try to start it after that it would take somewhere around 10 tries and then finally turn over (choke all the way on) and whenever I would let off the throttle, say to slow down at a stoplight, it would stall on me! Even with the choke all the way on... so I took it home, changed the spark plug, didn't help. I looked at the air filter to see if it was dirty, it looked pretty clean, but I can't see the inside, and I don't have an air compressor to blow it with. The housing was dry and spotless though. So, I figured it must be the carburetor. I removed it by myself (with absoltely no prior knowledge of anything to do with motorcycles, just little knowledge of cars) with the help of a users manual on this site. So I removed the carb and took it into a shop to have it professionally cleaned. I got it back yesterday and put everything together, and added a new inline fuel filter. I put in a gallon of fresh premium gas and tried to run it and the same thing happened. So I carefully drove it back to the shop and thhey said 50 bucks to check it out and fine tune everything. He said it probably just needs to be tuned now, so hopefully that's it and I don't need anymore work done. Anybody know what else it could be than just a tune? Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
Rookie Rider

Re: I can't figure it out..

How good is your battery and when was the last time it had a good charge for at least 8-10 hours ? Maybe your idle is to low too, the white knob on right side of your bike as youre sitting on it.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
schooler94

When they cleaned the carb they put the idle at 3.5 turns which he said I shouldn't put it any higher. I just bouth the bike two weeks ago so idk about the battery but it seems fine, the starter doesn't get weak when I crank it and the lights don't dim, but I'm sure they'll check it at the shop its at

Old 10-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Rookie Rider

May also be a short somewhere, others with more knowledge then me will be here soon, hang out. You wont regret it
Old 10-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
schooler94

Alright thanks for the help man

Old 10-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
schooler94

Oh yeah and I should add it only has 6100 miles on it. Under 6k when I got it two weeks ago
Old 10-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
Rookie Rider

Check the battery connections. Maybe you should be charging it now till you get the help you need.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
schooler94

How do you charge it?
Old 10-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
Rookie Rider

With a battery tender, (trickle charger), over night is your best bet. Take the seat off and then take off the right side plastic panel and you will see the battery. Hook up the clips to the battery terminals. Also maybe your petcock is clogged, just a thought.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Rookie Rider

Oh, if you ever jump start it with a car be sure the car IS NOT RUNNING, the car must be OFF !!!