Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 08-16-2010, 02:37 AM   #1
BusyWeb

Big Pine Flat Trail Ride - Photo/Video Slide Show

Big Pine Flat Trail

Location: San Bernadino National Forest, near Big Bear Lake. California
Trail Mileage: 25 miles
Top Elevation: 7,600 feet

This trail is the easiest and funiest trail I have ever had; (just in few out of my total trail experiences.. ^^
Very nice road conditions, hard graded dirt road are most of them.
There are some deep sandy and loosed gravel parts on the road, at the Crap Flat Road where Big Pine Flat road meets.
Just few (couple) of miles long at those conditions, and many OHV's are on those sections. (Traffic at the mountain trail !!!)
At the entrance, I saw this trail does not permit those OHV and green stickers.
I was wonder why?
That section isn't the Big Pine Flat Trail, but Crap Flat Road.
It is little bit easy to be lost the directions if not careful to follow the road.
Thre are WEB of trails around.

Some couple of small streams crossing... ha ha ha, I did first time water over riding at this trail.
It's very short length, but looks just a bit deeper for me.
So, I found very shallow edge and successfully crossed without wetting the my feet.

Very nice sceneries and clean air quality..
Bright sunny weather helped my happy and fun trial riding.

Here is some photo and short video slide show at the trail.
I tried to put mainly for road sceneries only in the trail riding to share.
All the saddle time videos are from newly acquired Kodak ZX3 Play Sport (water proof, budget pocket type).
And camera is mounted on my chest by camel-pack shoulder straps; recording is triggered by remote control while riding.
IMHO, quality isn't that bad (actually good enough) for this budget camera. ^^;

[youtube:2e5tdrpt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzmI86sqVCs[/youtube:2e5tdrpt]

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
blaine

Re: Big Pine Flat Trail Ride - Photo/Video Slide Show

I think the video quality is excellent.Beautiful scenery.I always enjoy your videos.Thanks for sharing.

:2tup: :popcorn:

Old 08-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Moedad

Nice pics and video, Busy. BTW (heh-heh), it's CRAB Flats Rd., not CRAP Flats. You're really getting some long rides on that little bike. Did you ride all the way from your house on the TW200?

Old 08-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Simply excellent Busy. We get to see what you see(envious here)and also watch your dirt skills improve with each ride. Will have to check out that camera for myself. Glad to see the water crossing was a success too. They can be somewhat of a surprise if the water gets deeper and the bike slows too much. My first water crossing was a wet affair. I neglected to consider the drag effect of deeper water and the bike powered out in the middle of a creek and I stopped. But I did find out if my boots were water proof. They were............not a drop leaked out of them. lol.
This area is obviously well maintained and popular which is a bonus if anything breaks so that is another big plus for you as a lone rider. Keep the videos coming, we all enjoy them and your comments.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
:2tup: :popcorn:
Thanks Mr. blaine for the comments.... ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Nice pics and video, Busy. BTW (heh-heh), it's CRAB Flats Rd., not CRAP Flats. You're really getting some long rides on that little bike. Did you ride all the way from your house on the TW200?
Oops... I thought that little bit strange road name it was.... ha ha ha
Thanks for the correction!!
Yes, I did go and back home with TW200 to the Trail.
Little bit tired after the last weekend riding, as it is not that comfortable bike for high speed.
But, it did good job for me without any troubles like GZ did for me. (very dependable !!)
So, I'm thinking that if I have small pick up truck for the longer destination ????
And searching for old used good priced one ... hope I could find one. (then, other street bike will be gone ...sadly, but don't want to be )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Simply excellent Busy. We get to see what you see(envious here)and also watch your dirt skills improve with each ride. Will have to check out that camera for myself. Glad to see the water crossing was a success too. They can be somewhat of a surprise if the water gets deeper and the bike slows too much. My first water crossing was a wet affair. I neglected to consider the drag effect of deeper water and the bike powered out in the middle of a creek and I stopped. But I did find out if my boots were water proof. They were............not a drop leaked out of them. lol.
This area is obviously well maintained and popular which is a bonus if anything breaks so that is another big plus for you as a lone rider. Keep the videos coming, we all enjoy them and your comments.
Thanks Mr. WW always.
Many advices that I could use for the my ridings...
My boots may/might be not all waterproof at all, I had some leakage at the rainly day riding... sad.
The stream wasn't that deep, but I felt some worry
"If bike down or engine cut-off while on...what a my ego-damage could go...first of all >> no others are near there at the time !!!" ha ha ha

Old 08-17-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Busy, never worry about falling in front of onlookers. They will also be the folks who rescue you if things get to be too much for a single body to handle.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
BusyWeb

Quote:
Busy, never worry about falling in front of onlookers. They will also be the folks who rescue you if things get to be too much for a single body to handle.
O.K.
But in a reality, it hurts... ^^
Thanks alot.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:19 AM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Of course it hurts to mess up around others and the ego takes a hit BUT........picture this in your mind. 30 inches of water, bike died and fell over on your leg trapping you. It can easily happen. Do you want to be alone or have witness' to save your sorry a$$. I stopped off road riding years ago because I had lost touch with other buds with dirt bikes. Some of the places I liked to ride were very remote and being hurt and alone was not a pleasant thought.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
BusyWeb

Quote:
Some of the places I liked to ride were very remote and being hurt and alone was not a pleasant thought.
Sorry, to hear your sad memoies...
I'll keep in mind your words whenever I go to ride, and be carefule myself at the best; as I do mostly riding alone.
That's why I have some plan to have a small bike transporter (pick-up truck at the least), so that I can have some physical power left over for the dirt riding, if I go far and remote distance to ride.
Thanks
Old 08-19-2010, 03:48 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

A small pick me up would work great with a decent ramp. Best for me was a trailer that was lower than a pick-up bed and less loading/unloading worries. A trailer also gives you the option of a small car or small truck. Of course you need somewhere to park the trailer at home too.
At one time I also had a carrier across the back of a full size Bronco to haul my KDX 200. Worked great and was made from scraps of whatever I had accummulating dust. My only expense was a couple lights on it because the bike blocked the Bronco tail lights. It also had a ramp so I never had to lift the bike up.