Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 08-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #111
Jer

Under normal conditions how long should a set of tires last?

Do they need to be replaced at the first sign of a crack?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #112
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer
Under normal conditions how long should a set of tires last?

Do they need to be replaced at the first sign of a crack?
There is no "normal", really. It depends on the tire, what pressure you run, how you ride and whether or not they are left exposed to the elements (sun being the worst) for very long.

Some wear out in 5K miles. I am approaching 5K and don't think I'm close to half.....so I should be good for about 10K miles.

And no, you shouldn't panic when you find the first tiny crack. The key word is TINY. Sidewalls will often have "spider-web" checking in the side walls. This just means you should watch them closer for larger cracks to develop.

Having said that..........many riders are riding on unsafe tires......because they are too old. They LOOK good but are hard as a rock and probably have sidewall cracks they haven't noticed. Many riders never actually wear out a set of tires.

I would never ride on tires over 5 years old, if they spent a lot of time outside......unless maybe you ride like an old granny and never go over 30 mph. Tires 7 years old: GONE regardless of how they look or how they are used.

So, if you have a 2001 bike or earlier with the original tires, tsk, tsk !! :oops:
Old 08-22-2008, 04:28 PM   #113
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
Shame on me I'm riding on my 2000 bike with original front tire. It would have been replaced back in June if I could just find a tire. I've had the CS tire on back order since the beginning of July. I'm guessing the supply of the Cheng shin tires had dried up? Has anyone spotted the 110/90-16 C906 anywhere? I will probably end up going with a 120/90-16 cheng shin for the front. if it doesn't come in soon. If anyone is curious I got the following out of Motorcycle Warehouse:

With backorder due dates, we are in the same boat as you. We can only provide you the information that we have been provided.
At this point, the due date is now 08/10. Here is the phone number to GBC/Cheng Shin, maybe they can give you more information 310-669-2626.

Thanks,
Janet

Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse
1-800-241-2222
www.mawonline.com

Old 09-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #114
Quimrider

Re: Tire questions

Finally!!! I found some place that had the CS front tire! Now I won't have to ride on my 9 year old front tire. Ordered on Tuesday tracking says it will be delivered today (Thursday). I should have paid the extra and ordered from these guys months ago. Unfortunately they're in Dayton, OH so I had to pay tax. See link below if you want to order one. They also have the rear tire for $53.19.

http://motorcycletires.com/default.asp?categoryid=446
Item: CHENG SHIN HI MAX C906F SPORT/TOURING BW - 110/90H16 FRONT
Quantity: 1
Price: $53.32

Taxes: $3.73
Freight: $13.33
Total: $70.38
Old 10-17-2008, 09:06 AM   #115
Mandachan

God...

Tires for my little 2001 were hell to find. I ended up getting dunlops, and replacing both. I've bought the tires, but they keep pushing back the backorder date. It was the 11th, then the 15th, now it's today (the 17th). They have the front tire but waiting on the back tire.

When i asked about possibly looking for the 100/90's, he said they wouldn't put on the smaller tire due to liability reasons. I thought that was odd but slightly understandable. This is a real suzuki dealer btw.

So yeah..i went through hell on the phone (as they charge 155 for both tires if you bring them in, 55 if you buy them from the shop, and frankly don't have time to try to figure out how to put tires on, lol). Took about 45 minutes to even find tires since you can't really even get Cheng Shin. I went through the brands with him and the only ones that had sets for my bike would've taken a month to come in.

Anyone else have issues like this getting tires? I think i'm going to start a year in advance next time.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #116
Quimrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandachan
God...

Tires for my little 2001 were hell to find. I ended up getting dunlops, and replacing both. I've bought the tires, but they keep pushing back the backorder date. It was the 11th, then the 15th, now it's today (the 17th). They have the front tire but waiting on the back tire.

When i asked about possibly looking for the 100/90's, he said they wouldn't put on the smaller tire due to liability reasons. I thought that was odd but slightly understandable. This is a real suzuki dealer btw.

So yeah..i went through hell on the phone (as they charge 155 for both tires if you bring them in, 55 if you buy them from the shop, and frankly don't have time to try to figure out how to put tires on, lol). Took about 45 minutes to even find tires since you can't really even get Cheng Shin. I went through the brands with him and the only ones that had sets for my bike would've taken a month to come in.

Anyone else have issues like this getting tires? I think i'm going to start a year in advance next time.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ONLY 45 min!?!?!? I spent 3/4 of the summer tracking down tires. Count yourself lucky. although I played back order game for a month or two as well before they told me they couldn't get the tires. so your struggle may not be over.

If you have to ask if anyone else had issues getting tires, you're either incredibly stoopid or you didn't read this thread. For your sake I hope you didn't read the thread. In the future you might try actually reading the thread before asking stoopid questions.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #117
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

A Dunlop D404 was the only rear tire I could find that anyone had in stock. I was trying to replace the rear tire with another Kenda Challenger, but everyone, dealer AND online, had everything but the Dunlops on back order. To be honest, this is one of the reasons I'm looking to sell the bike, haha.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #118
mrlmd1

Don't forget the 120/80 size for the front, like I said in this post on the first page when I started this whole thread. I got this Cheng Shin and it works just fine.
And it was cheaper.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:44 PM   #119
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimrider
If you have to ask if anyone else had issues getting tires, you're either incredibly stoopid or you didn't read this thread. For your sake I hope you didn't read the thread. In the future you might try actually reading the thread before asking stoopid questions.
While I might kind of agree with the sentiment, that IS a pretty harsh way to say it.
Nobody likes to be called stupid (or stoopid, stupid!).
Old 10-21-2008, 10:29 PM   #120
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimrider
While I might kind of agree with the sentiment, that IS a pretty harsh way to say it.
Nobody likes to be called stupid (or stoopid, stupid!).

And when Easy Rider thinks you went too far or were too harsh in the way that you said something, you probably went waaaaayyy to far. :yes: