Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 03-02-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
hacc81

Daily commuter... Boulevard M50 or Sportster 883 Superlow?

Hi all,

I've been riding for about 2 months now and I really like my GZ!! :2tup: ... The only issue is that I just went back to school and now I have to commute everyday (about 80 kms round trip). So far I've been taking the back roads to get to the university, but sometimes when I'm late or I need to get earlier I'd really like to be able to take the highway... I tried once, it was scary!! and it felt like the engine was about to explode!! I mean, it sound it like it would not last long if I kept that pace :lol: (100 km/h or 60 mph). Maybe I'm just exaggerating because I guess I'm not used to the bike's engine sound yet :??: I really don't know...

To make the long story short (even though is not that short anymore...) I'm starting to feel that probably the GZ is not the best choice for what I need now (daily commute) and I'm gonna need a bigger bike soon, maybe 2-3 months from now when I feel confident enough ridding to handle a bigger, heavier, and more powerful bike. Having said that, I was starting to look for bigger bikes just to have an idea of the budget, and I came across the Boulevard M50 Special Edition (black/orange, beautiful bike!) and the H-D Sportster XL883L Superlow (is more money, but I'm planning to finance it)... Anyway, what do you guys think about these 2 models? Have any of you driven both bikes? Any preferences? Is it a fair comparison? :??:

All comments are accepted... Thanks a lot! :2tup:
hacc81

[attachment=1:34t2q9qd]M50 SE.jpg[/attachment:34t2q9qd]
[attachment=0:34t2q9qd]Sportster Superlow.jpg[/attachment:34t2q9qd]

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
bonehead

Re: Daily commuter... Boulevard M50 or Sportster 883 Superlo

Either one will serve your purpose. I'd check into the cost of service/upkeep to help with the choice.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
blaine

IMHO I think the Boulevard is a better choice.I think it is better looking,more reliable and smoother.
:cool:

Old 03-02-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
IMHO I think the Boulevard is a better choice.I think it is better looking,more reliable and smoother.
:cool:

:plus1: , I think it is a no brainer if you want something reliable and fairly inexpensive to work on, to go with the Suzuki, I have never owned or ridden either one, but I can guarantee you don't want to ever have to take that Harley to the shop and have it worked on if you are on any kind of budget whatsoever.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
mrlmd1

Check out the S50, that's what I moved up to. Not very heavy (478 lbs), 805cc, low seat height, plenty of power and easy to ride, very nimble, and good on any highway, with very little maintenance (routine oil changes).

Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
hacc81

Thanks for all your replies...

Today I called a local Suzuki dealer and apparently you cannot find anymore this model of M50 SE in a dealer, only used ones. Nevertheless, I'm thinking that the M50 would be a better choice in the cost department, although the H-D would probably hold its resale value a little better after a few years huh?... I'm not sure :??:
Well, I found this M50 in craigslist. http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bn...234730446.html
Is it just me or don't you think that it's kind of pricey, considering that the 2010 M50 costs $6999 (before tax)??

Anyway, I'll keep ridding my GZ until I feel more confident... I'll also keep looking into these bikes and probably take them for a test drive (at least the Superlow)...

Thanks guys! :2tup:
Old 03-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Did you try Hole Shot on the Highway or North Shore in Vancouver ? I doubt either one will give you a spendid price over the phone or in an E-mail but a personal appearance might do some good.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #8
hacc81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Did you try Hole Shot on the Highway or North Shore in Vancouver ? I doubt either one will give you a spendid price over the phone or in an E-mail but a personal appearance might do some good.
Hi WW, I actually called Holeshot today and they were the ones who told me that the M50 SE is a 2009 model that is no longer in production (that's why I will only find used ones, according to them). Also, for 2010/11 the M50 changed a lot! Here's a picture of the new one... This is the only model that they have available and it costs $6,999 + tax... And honestly, I saw it personally a couple of weeks ago and I didn't like it as much as the M50 SE in black/orange.

So, I guess that when the time comes, I'll just start looking for a used one then... Here is a good prospect, but I think he's asking too much money... http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bn...234730446.html

[attachment=0:2jhohrs7]2010-11 M50.jpg[/attachment:2jhohrs7]
Old 03-03-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

7 seven grand for a new M-50 !! They couldn't be asking that much more for a C-50. Hmm.........no I will not call them. I won't I won't I won't.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #10
frempath

Not to make things more difficult for you, but I am anyway....
You seem to have something very specific in mind. Have you considered options to the M50 or the HD?
In the cruiser format you appear to prefer, Honda Shadow, Yamaha V-Star, Kawasaki Vulcan, Triumph America, or similar may give you what you want at a better price or be available.

I'm starting to look at a larger commuter/utility bike myself.
I don't think the cruiser format will work best for me.
I'm looking at used though. Probably UJM/Standard/Naked or Duel Sport/Adventure.
I'm thinking for me a Honda Nighthawk, Suzuki "WeeStrom", or Triumph Bonneville.

Oh, well. Enjoy what you find.

The older boy's GZ250 for about town.
Previous:
XJ 650
GS 450L
XJ 650
XS 650
TS 185
ATC 90