Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 11-03-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
Graydog

Deer me that was close

Today I was returning from a long ride into the country to look at a house I'm considering for purchase. The road was very narrow with many hard curves up and down hills. I was moving pretty slow since some of the turns were so hair pin and blind I almost had to put one foot down to make the turn and stay out of the blind on-coming lane. (Music Man you can relate...I was on one of those little single lane pot holed paved trails outside of Hot Springs on the side of a mountain).

Ahead of me on the side of the road I saw a doe grazing. She was standing right in the center of a horseshoe bend in the road. I gassed the bike a couple of times trying to scare her before I got to her. But even when you gas the GZ it isn't much to be afraid of. (Harley would have come in handy!) Horn didn't bother her. She seemed pretty amused and just continued to graze. I decided to pass her slowly and cautiously. Good thing I did. Just as I reached her she decided to leap across the road in front of me. I was moving 5-10mph at the most and still caught her left hoof with my front wheel. No damage to her or the bike but it happened so fast I hate to think what the result would have been had I been going 10-20mph. I don't think that doe will be with us much longer since deer season is here.

Lesson learned. Animal on side of road = slow down, watch, prepare. (Well that might not be the best thing to do if it is a bear!)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-04-2008, 01:20 AM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Re: Deer me that was close

Yes big lesson learned. I never take for granted what a deer is going to do after i spot them. Always slow down, watch and prepare. Good words to live by.

In a group i usually lead ... i always tell the guys if you see me do this :rawk: (not headbang, just the horn symbol lol ) ... theres a deer spotted and prepare for my ass to slow down.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 11-04-2008, 03:33 AM   #3
IRingTwyce

Location: Graham, TX & Houma, LA ... I commute. Holy crap! You sure can type a lot of stuff in this spot!

Stupid deer. Nature sucks sometime. I have hit one deer in my car. Killed her, and the car got off with much less damage than could have happened at highway speeds. Luckily I saw her and had already slammed on the brakes before she leapt. I can't imagine hitting one on a bike. Glad you made it through safely!

[center:h2j5ojxn]'01 Suzuki GZ
(Coming soon) '02 V-Star 1100 Silverado
'06 Hyundai Azera Limited Ultimate
'98 Contour SVT
'98 Contour SE
[/center:h2j5ojxn]

Old 11-04-2008, 05:47 AM   #4
alanmcorcoran

We don't have many deer out here in Southern California, but they were a common menace in upstate New York. My personal theory is they are depressed and suicidal. Whether it's a death wish or sheer stupidity, when you encounter one, give it a wide berth. They are as likely to run into your path as away.

Also, where there is one, there are often two or three more. Even if you are confident you will miss Bambi, his sister or Mom could be preparing to leap towards your fascinating headlamp.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
IRingTwyce

Location: Graham, TX & Houma, LA ... I commute. Holy crap! You sure can type a lot of stuff in this spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
My personal theory is they are depressed and suicidal.
:haha2: Funny you should say that. Whenever I recount the story I always say the deer committed suicide on my driver's mirror.

**EDIT** Woo hoo! I'm bona-fide now! Post 25 baby. :cool:

'98 Contour SVT
'98 Contour SE

Old 11-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Deer/A.K.A. forest rats are Mother Natures way of feeding scavengers. The odds of predicting where /when one will go is like getting a winning lotto ticket. Most of their brain cells operate in suicide mode. Be careful out there.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:12 AM   #7
deputydogg2763

Glad you made it through unharmed. The way I take home from work is like the deer playground. I always see at least two or three. One thing that I have done, Other than slowing down and amusing it with the sound of the GZ, is to switch from high beam to low beam and turn the handlebars back and forth like I am swerving. Usually when I do that, they decide it is time to move on. I have noticed that sometimes it will flush out more that don't want to be left behind. I did that one time and got another 3 deer to move across the road and I was safely out of their way. Stay safe, Deer meat is good to eat, but not at the cost of your life or your motorcycle.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
IRingTwyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputydogg2763
Deer meat is good to eat, but not at the cost of your life or your motorcycle.
Mmmm.....deer jerky!

'98 Contour SVT
'98 Contour SE
Old 01-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
grimjaw

I wasn't so lucky with my 'deerly' departed. Happened 1/19/2010, just this past Tuesday.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/another...7623138526213/

I'm really to blame for this one. I should have laid on the brakes as soon as I saw the first deer.

It was very late at night on a county highway, after I came around a short bend. Heavy tree cover on both sides of the road, but if I'd applied brake as to stop as soon as I saw the first one (without locking it up) I would have only been doing about 5mph by the time I got to where they were crossing. Since I saw the first one already halfway across and still moving, I only slightly slowed initially and kept my eye on the first deer. Headlight on my GZ just isn't that great, so I didn't see the second deer trotting across behind the first until too late to stop gracefully. The second one slowed down in the middle of the road (stupid forest rats!), WHAM, into its rear half.

The bike went down on its left side with my left leg pinned underneath. It's hard to say since it happened so fast, but I'd guess I was going 25-35mph. My left arm took the brunt of the impact, I think. I had leather covering upper body and and was wearing a helmet, so other than a bad sprain to my left wrist and a bruised right torso, that's OK. The inside of my left foot was driven into the asphalt while the top/front of my knee was also digging into the ground (you can imagine the contortion necessary for that), all weighed down by the bike. Skidded with the bike 10-15 feet. Luckily no one was behind me or coming from the opposite direction, nor did they for almost 25 minutes. After gasping in pain for a minute, I managed to wiggle out from under the bike and stand up. After getting my helmet off and testing my leg a couple of times, I managed to lift the bike and roll it off the highway. I knew at least the big bones in my leg weren't broken. Turns out I only had a small chip off a bone in my left foot and another bad sprain, plus road rash on both knees. Weird thing was the only scuffs on my leather jacket were on the *right* side.

I had my phone with me and a flashlight, and I managed to get hold of a friend who came to pick me up. Bike was chained to a utility pole until the next day when I could come back with my truck and pick it up. Engine starts and it still rolls! Has lots of cosmetic damage, have to fix the headlight, left front blinker, speedometer/odometer, gearshift lever, and handlebars before it's roadworthy again. Forks look good, maybe some minor adjustment. Windshield is broken and will have to be replaced, but I figure that will wait for next fall. I'll be able to handle the warmer weather by the time I get everything else fixed.

When I was a kid I fell off a 3.5' high chain link fence and broke upper bones in my right arm in half. Looked like I had two elbows on that arm. Considering how little it takes to break a bone, I consider myself *EXTREMELY* lucky that I was not injured more severely, and I will absolutely not be riding without some kind of minimal protection in the future. I don't know if my helmet impacted the ground. Head and neck feel fine still today. I had a set of x-rays and some range of motion tests done, everything is OK.

Deer are not so endearing anymore.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
Moedad

Wow, grim, sounds like it could've been worse. Hope you heal up quick and get back on the road in time for the spring riding season.