Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 10-30-2006, 12:25 AM   #1
BadMojo

Torque Wrench

How critical is it to have one of these? Reason is I have a squeaky front brake. I want to remove the cliper and inspect the pads. When replacing it calls for torque specs. If so, what type should I get and where can I get one at a reasonable price?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-30-2006, 03:05 AM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
I had my front brakes off about 8 times because of a squealy brake noise. I didnt use a torque wrench at all. Just snugged up and gave it a quick pull to tighten it up. I never did get rid of that darn squeal.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 10-30-2006, 05:39 AM   #3
Badbob

Re: Torque Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMojo
How critical is it to have one of these? Reason is I have a squeaky front brake. I want to remove the cliper and inspect the pads. When replacing it calls for torque specs. If so, what type should I get and where can I get one at a reasonable price?
For aluminum/alloy I think a Torque wrench is a must have. If it saves you one stripped hole its worth it. I consider brakes critical and always use a torque wrench on these. I don't think that using a torque wrench would have anything to do with your brake noise. (I could be wrong.) The squeal seems to be more a function of the type of pads you use than any thing else. I use SBS Ceramic pads and they don't squeal. My wife has stock pads and hers do squeal. Auto parts stores have stuff that you apply to the back of the pads that is supposed to help stop squeal. I never use it. The idea grease on brakes makes me very uncomfortable.

I have six torque wrenches. Two are the old school beam type. One huge dial indicator style with an extension bar I bought for torquing large axle nuts. I got my first "click stick" style torque wrench for my GZ250. I got it at AutoZone for about $30. I liked it so much I now have three of them. different sizes.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:39 AM   #4
BadMojo

Got it, I'll make way for my local autozone to see what they have, thanks. I see your point on alloy metal, that sure would be a bummer if I stripped one, and as my luck would have it, I would. And I think I'll swap out my stock pads for ceramic while I'm at it!
Old 10-30-2006, 11:21 AM   #5
Badbob

If you install the ceramic pads be aware that they brake better than the stock ones. I almost drop my bike in the driveway with a front wheel lock up. You get used to to pretty quick but when your not expecting it you can get a big surprise.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:18 PM   #6
BadMojo

Thanks for the heads up, I had read this in one of your earlier posting, good to know!
Old 08-18-2018, 06:59 AM   #7
Donald McPherson

A few years late. Copper grease is your friend to stop the squeel. Just make sure you don't get it on the pads.