Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 08-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
JGunn

Carb issue or Nature of the Beast.

Hello. For the first mile or so whenever I ride, I stall a lot and seem to only have about 75% of power before the bike really starts kicking in. It will sputter here and there but nothing crazy and acceleration is a bit subdued especially when I hit 3rd gear. After about a half mile the bike will have a little more power but still not 100% and still stalls when I have to stop so I gently rev it to keep it from stalling. After a mile though, the bike will finally have full power and idles high now when I stop. Around this time I turn off the choke completely and adjust the throttle knob until it gets down to a suitable idle. By this time the bike works pretty well despite the occasional stall. The stalling problem usually alleviates after about 3 miles of riding. After that, the bike runs great. My question is do I need a carburetor clean or is this just the nature of GZ'z? The bike has been like this since I bought it last January and I haven't given it a carb clean yet. I initially put a carb cleaner additive, I also soaked it in Seafoam for 24 hours and I have manually sprayed carb cleaner down the main fuel line. None of these things really changed the situation. Just curious of other peoples experiences. Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-19-2018, 07:04 PM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

One possibility is that your petcock diaphragm may be compromised. You can find rebuild kits online for about $35.00 and they are easy to rebuild. Also check the line from the back of the petcock to the carb body and make sure there are no splits or holes in it. Another possibility is that the inlet on the petcock has some sludge clogging up the inlet screen inside the tank. Running most of the fuel out and leaning the bike on it's right side, you can pull the petcock out and check it. There are online how to videos available also on how to rebuild it.
Also, I would lube your choke cable to make sure it is not hanging up.

Last edited by Vegas Street Rider; 08-19-2018 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Added additional info.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #3
JGunn

I'm not exactly sure how the diaphragm being compromised relates to the issue, however, I have never removed the petcock so it's worth a try to see what's going on in there. The line from the petcock to the carb is fine and choke works great. Remember that it's just within the first mile I have issues after the bike warms up it runs great.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by JGunn; 08-19-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:26 AM   #4
alantf

Remember that with the engine HOT the knob should be set to give an idle speed of 1200 - 1400 RPM.