Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 05-30-2018, 11:52 PM   #1
blackgaard

Fun with Photo-chop

Image first...

Hello everyone! I picked up a 2000 GZ250 a couple weeks ago as my first bike (finally). Doesn't even have 3000 miles on it, and was in running/driving shape when I looked. Insured, registered, got permit, going through mechanical checks and fixes... fitting new tires (what a pain in the ass to find these sizes!). Also, I am in Massachusetts where we inspect bikes every year, and so I made a plate and riveted on to the end of the muffler to "un-drill-mod" it. Besides, pretty sure it was running lean. Have only ridden it for an hour or so, and this brings me to the above picture ideas.

My main issue is that I am 6'3", and 250lbs (and dropping). I feel very cramped on this bike - my feet feel awkward this far back for this low a seating position, but even more so, I feel squashed into the tank and bars. I want the seat further back. Maybe the pegs/controls slightly forward, but that's another topic. I did some very scientific testing in my yard with my ass and a drop cloth. Seems like when the seat latch is right... um... yeah, right there, my legs/knees are a lot more comfortable. I only remember one post really addressing this where the guy ("Joe"?) put a seat right up on top of the frame after the bend, and this seems like a little much. Anyone got any ideas? In the pic above, the rear fender is lowered (and tilted too far back for wheel travel, I know), and assumed that the latch protrusion is cut away. Also the whole rear is lowered by eye with S40 springs... accuracy be damned here. Of course, there are all sorts of little things wrong with the wheels to make them "complete" in a layer so I can try things in PS... really hacked together... bear with me..

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-31-2018, 12:02 AM   #2
blackgaard

Another pic with the stock ghost behind it. The seat really isn't far back enough, but then it has to go higher...
Old 05-31-2018, 02:10 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

You may be in for a bit of a battle with the seating issue. All I can say is keep trying various ideas with some home built or real cheap seats to determine if you can get comfy on the bike.

Forward pegs may not be an option as no one has ever found a supplier for the GZ.

At your height I would think the seat would be better going up and back a bit. This will also give more room for your legs to unbend a little too.

The foot controls do have some adjustment. The shifter can be raised or lowered for comfort and the brake pedal has a certain amount of adjustment. Be sure to make sure the brake light still works properly after a rear brake pedal adjust. The brake light switch is a little item just aft of the pedal mounting point and is adjusted by turning it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-31-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
blackgaard

Thanks for the reply. I guess my concern with the seat going higher has more to do with the looks of the bike... what do I do with that big gap it creates?

As for the pegs - I saw another post where someone basically made an extended bracket from flat-bar. That's fine, but I'd want no plastic used in extending controls. Adjusting the shifter down was the first thing I did, as it was difficult to bend my ankle that far back.

I guess I'm going to have to weld together some kind of bracket... I'm just trying not to lose the storage under the seat, and keep it secure. Might have to think up some entirely different side cover.