Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 12-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
Dave Dark

Hello from Toronto!

Hi There!

My name is David and I live in Toronto Ontario Canada. I've been wanting to ride for about two years. I got my M2 last summer and was waiting to buy a bike this winter because I heard it was cheaper.

Last week, at the Motorcycle show, I saw an awesome price for a brand new 2010 GZ250 Marauder. I was going to buy used but the idea of having a brand new anything really appealed to me. The dealer is storing it for me right now and hopefully it will stop snowing by April so I can start cruising about.

I'm really glab I found this message board. Everybody seems very helpful and supportive. I'm planning on doing my own maintenance (am I crazy?) so I'll prbably be calling upon all of you for your help and advice.

Three quick questions -

1) Is there a Haynes or Clymer manual for this bike?
2) I have a 2010. Is there really any difference between my bike and any of the earlier models?
3) I want to do my own maintenance but I don't have that much experience. Am I going to regret doing my own maintenance? Could I possible 'screw up' my bike by trying any of the general tune up stuff?

Thanks in advance and I am glad to be a part of this wonderful group!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
alantf

Re: Hello from Toronto!

Hi there, & welcome to the madhouse.

Answers :- (1) dunno, but there's all the manuals needed, available for download "free" on this site.
(2) No.
(3) ??? (you'll soon see, when you get your bike.)

One big point. The carb is the Achilles heel of The GZ. Before you get the bike, invest in a can of fuel additive/carb cleaner, & be prepared to use it in your tank as soon as you feel the need.

Another big point - Ignore any posts on this site about re-jetting etc of the carb. If you've got the Canadian spec bike, it's the same as my European bike, & different to the American bikes. It's got more power, due to the American emission laws making the bike run so lean as to be almost unbelievable.

Having said all that, I reckon you'll like the bike. I've had mine for nearly 4 years now, & I still love riding it. Just don't try too much freeway riding, as this bike, like all 250s, doesn't like being pushed at full revs for long periods of time. :2tup:

BTW don't even think about "tune up stuff". This just isn't the bike for that, & any difference a tune up would make would be minimal at most.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
blaine

Welcome.There is no other manual beside the Suzuki one,or the download one on here.When I first got my G.Z. I looked everywhere for a manual,and ended up buying one from Suzuki for $100.00. About a month later I bought a computer & found this site.Maintenance isn't hard if you are mechanically inclined and follow the manual.Doing your own maintenance can save you money and be gratifying plus you will know your bike if you ever have a problem on the road.I bought my G.Z with 1400 kms on it.I rode it for almost 4 years and sold it with 45000 kms on it.Rode it all over the maritime Provence's & never had a problem with it.One of the toughest & enjoyable bikes I ever owned.A new one will give you many miles of satisfaction.Again, welcome,nice to see more Canadians on board!!
:2tup: :cool:

Old 12-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Welcome DD. Nothing like that new bike smell. The GZ is an easy bike to own and care for. Treat it to a little TLC and the bike will take you almost anywhere sane. As mentioned above, stay off major highways, the bike can't compete with the speeds and idiots out there. You can however travel across the GWN on secondary highways and the bike is a willing companion. Lynda, my SO rode her GZ from the west coast to Manitoba and back with no problems.
I would suggest some light reading for winter. Pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. It is the bible of motorcycling and will teach you many skills needed to stay alive on a bike.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
oakies

Welcome to the forum. Im just an hour or so away from you on the other side of the border between Niagara Falls and Buffalo. Not much maintainance of the GZ. An oil and filter change is an easy 15 minute job.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:02 AM   #6
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakies
Not much maintainance of the GZ. An oil and filter change is an easy 15 minute job.
So it is ............ but the next essential job, to be done around the same time you do an oil change, is to check & re-set (if necessary) the valves. 2 intake & 2 exhaust valves.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
mole2

Welcome aboard! Good luck with the new bike and ride safely.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
Dave Dark

Hey Everyone!

Great to meet you all! It is nice to have an online community that is so inviting and supportive.

I look forward to getting the bike and seeing if I'm up to the maintenance. I'm pretty sure I'll be okay and if I need any help I know exactly where I can turn!

Hopefully, some of us can meet up in the spring and go for a nice long ride together!
Old 12-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
Devoured

Hey Dave,
You'll be happy you came here. Since I bought my gz a month ago I've changed my oil and filter, as well as built a nice set of jack stands with the step by step directions posted here. I plan to change the exhaust and re-jet my carb in the new year. I haven't even had to bug these guys at all since the search on this forum is very helpful.

Good luck with your new bike!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:00 AM   #10
GZBrian

Welcome Dave. This is a good site. Very helpful group, and you can find almost anything you need about your bike here. Stay safe. GZBrian.