Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-10-2010, 06:06 AM   #1
chaindrive

Major fuel problem

I had the GZ250 out for a nice ride two days ago and parked the bike in the garage as usual. I tried to start the bike yesterday to no avail. The starter just barely will turn the engine over. I started to remove the battery for charging when I noticed a strong smell of raw fuel. I removed the air filter and the filter and the filter canister are full of raw fuel. Worse, the crankcase is full of raw fuel. No fuel on the floor from the carb overflow tube. Something is very wrong, where should I start???

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
alantf

Re: Major fuel problem

Sounds like the float in the carb is stuck. If that is the problem, & you're handy with tools, it's not such a big job to fix it. Just remember that you're going to have to do an oil & filter change, whatever you find, so you might as well start getting the oil & filter, ready to do it as soon as you've fixed the problem.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
chaindrive

Thanks for the help.

Should I get a carb kit also? I think you are 100% correct on the stuck float. The bike has 11,000 miles on it. and is a 2001 model. I am 150 miles from a dealer so I need to get everything at the same time. This is a great forum, it sure helps to have some backup. Thanks again.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
blaine

You should be fine with a good cleaning of the needle & seat and the float bowel.After you are up & running you need you need to put some carb cleaner in every few tankfuls to keep from having the same problem again.Berrymans B-12 or Sea-foam are good ones to use.

:cool:

Old 10-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
chaindrive

That's even better. I did discover a dealer only 80 miles away. I hope they will mail me an oil filter so I don't have to drive 160 miles. I sure do appreciate the help. Thanks again.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
Viirin

I got one off K&N on ebay - seems to do the job fine and was a lot cheaper than the dealers around me
Old 10-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaindrive
That's even better. I did discover a dealer only 80 miles away. I hope they will mail me an oil filter so I don't have to drive 160 miles. I sure do appreciate the help. Thanks again.
You can use the oil & air filter from Hiflo-Filtro,less than half the price of O.E.M. The air filter is#HFA-3503,It is listed for the G.S.500 but is a direct fit.The oil filter is #HF-136.Good luck.

:2tup: :rawk:

Old 10-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Just remember that you're going to have to do an oil & filter change, whatever you find,
AND you need to remove the spark plug for cleaning or replacement and to run the starter for a couple of rev's to get the gas out of the cylinder.

Then you need to look at your petcock and be sure it wasn't left on PRIme. If it was NOT, then you might want to test the vacume shutoff function of the petcock before you call everything fixed. Unless that fails......or the float stuck right before you turned the bike off the last time.....the amount of gas that gets into the cylinder and crankcase should be very small.

Side note: You do NOT need to remove the battery to charge it.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
chaindrive

Back again,

Thanks so much for all the information. I have the bike ready to lift up and go to work. I intend to adjust the valve clearance while I am doing all of the other. I found the step by step on the valve adjustment on the forum also. Isn't the internet a wonderful thing, I just love it. On the battery, I am going to go ahead and remove it to charge it, just because of all the gas fumes in the area. It is much better today, but was pretty stinky in there last evening. I think you are right on the fuel valve, it was in the wrong position and caused all this problem. I will check the vacuum line to make sure it is working properly. I sure appreciate all the help. I will monitor the forum, I am weak in some areas, but am a ham radio operator and do have some expertise in the area of electronics so I may be able to help someone and return the favor. Many thanks. CD
Old 10-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #10
blaine

I would get the bike running properly before attempting a valve adjustment.Just so you don't compound a no start situation.

:roll: :cool: