Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 03-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
mainlinecoffee

Beating the life back in a dead horse...sidecars?

Does anyone here run a sidecar on there daily ride? I am trying to enter a bike show in 3 months or so and I am trying to set one up. I am thinking about running a 20 inch tire off the front of a 70s enduros suzuki on a triangular ish frame with a beer keg body, just something for storage and the occasional ride with my elkhound derpy...the whole thing will probably be welded up by a buddy the next town over I just wanted to get an idea if possible from people that run them what should I take note of? Tow camber castor? Mount points? Weight limit? I'm shooting for 45-65 pounds... Any feedback would be apriciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-22-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

I would start with an internet search of side car design. You will probably find a few light weight designs for just storage and lighter loads. A passenger side car will be heavier with suspension and stuff that would be a burden for a GZ. Your dog will love the idea.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:50 AM   #3
alantf

I remember, back in the 1960s, when there were quite a few Lambretta 150cc scooters with passenger sidecars. I don't know what the performance was like, but I never heard any complaints.index.jpeg
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg index.jpeg (3.3 KB, 24 views)

Old 03-22-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
mainlinecoffee

I figure 250cc was pretty big until the 60s. Are they solid mount or hinged with buffers? If it's solid I could probly fab it up pretty easy. Do they need shocks?
Old 03-23-2014, 04:07 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

To the best of my knowledge side cars are a solid mount to the bike with the ability to change the geometry for proper steering and control. The suspension is likely optional depending on how much extra weight you want to add. Or you could just suspend the car on a solid frame. Go nuts with your imagination and see what happens. It is your project so any results that satisfy you are the ones that count.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:39 AM   #6
mainlinecoffee

I am thinking about just hard tailing my bike for the time and just welding a squarish frame with a extra tire on it I'm not really stressing geometry,I figure if it's good I ride if it's not I bend it til it is. Maybe two mounts on the bottom and two on top and a cross member diagonally just for shits n grins. If the sun comes out this week I will take a trip to the metal depot and see where it goes.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:49 AM   #7
mainlinecoffee

The springs on the shocks have been clipped and curled,am I correct in assuming the angle of the 3rd wheel would change depending on the angle of the bike?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:33 AM   #8
mainlinecoffee

After 75 minutes of staring reading and contemplating I have made up my mind,I am going to do a leaner sidecar with a single shock on the 3rd wheel but have the tire and shock assembly solid mounted to the car frame. I think it would be lighter and safer In turns, granted I would be lucky to hit 65 mph with the weight but I hardly hit the highways for any distance and have no problem giving the finger to anyone that thinks I should be going 80+ in a 70.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

The 3rd wheel has to be aligned so the entire rig does not pull to the left or right while riding. This however is at a constant speed only. Accelerating the rig will pull a bit to the right and under braking it will try to go left. Lots of steering input to learn and be aware of to ride safely. A narrow close fitting side car will have less effect on steering but it will always be there.
No more counter steering like you do on 2 wheels. You steer like a car so there is your learning curve again. This is a real danger when you have learned to ride 2 wheels and react with muscle memory and habit. My friend Don crashed his 1st Ural within 15 minutes of buying it. A life time of 2 wheels had to be modified big time. Don healed, the bike was fixed and he proceeded to live on it for 3 or 4 years. His 2nd Ural is still running well and a far better bike than the 1st. His biggest complaint with the 1st was side car alignment. The 2nd rig is a dream with no mind of it's own. He buys tires in bulk when he can. Yeah, he rides that much. Retirement does have advantages.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #10
mainlinecoffee

It was my understanding that if the sidecar is hinged to the bike that you still counter steer and lean in,is this Incorrect? Would it only change if it was solid mounted?