Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-09-2015, 07:23 PM   #1
marauder1313

difficult to get into first gear

Quick question to see if this is a common issue on these bikes, or if something is out of adjustment on mine.
Sitting at a light, in neutral, when I go to put it in first gear itll feel like it shifted, but then it doesnt take off, and the neutral light will be slightly dim. I sometimes mess around with the shifter (shift up and then down) and then it finally gets into first gear.
This doesnt happen every single time, but a lot more than what I think is usual.
Is there an adjustment somewhere? I know theres some threads on the shifter rod, but would it make a real difference?
Anyways, just throwing it out there to see if anyones experienced this before.
Im just about to leave on my big trip in a few weeks so I want to iron out all these little bugs before I take off.
Thanks guys, i appreciate it

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-10-2015, 01:05 AM   #2
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauder1313 View Post
Quick question to see if this is a common issue on these bikes, or if something is out of adjustment on mine.
Sitting at a light, in neutral, when I go to put it in first gear itll feel like it shifted, but then it doesnt take off, and the neutral light will be slightly dim. I sometimes mess around with the shifter (shift up and then down) and then it finally gets into first gear.
This doesnt happen every single time, but a lot more than what I think is usual.
Is there an adjustment somewhere? I know theres some threads on the shifter rod, but would it make a real difference?
Anyways, just throwing it out there to see if anyones experienced this before.
Im just about to leave on my big trip in a few weeks so I want to iron out all these little bugs before I take off.
Thanks guys, i appreciate it
Most bikes go into first more easily if you down shift into 1st while the bike is still moving.That being said you should be in gear when your stopped at a light or stop sign so you can move quickly if the need arises.Also if you let your clutch lever out part way while shifting down into 1st it helps.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:18 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Always shift down to 1st just before coming to a stop. Always leave some room between you and the vehicle in front of you.
This allows for a fast escape in case you see a cage failing to stop behind you. Just a way to keep you safer on the street and you are assured of the bike being in gear.
You should also lube the shifter linkage. There are 2 little rubber booties on the shift rod from the cases to the shifter lever. Just a shot of chain lube inside the booties will do wonders. A little lube on the speedo cable never hurts either.
I have found that if the tranny won't go into gear just ease out the clutch lever slightly while applying a slight pressure on the shifter and it should slip into gear. Pull in the clutch and wait for the light or whatever. Lube the clutch cable too. Try all of the above and see how it works.
If that doesn't help you may need some adjustments but save those for a later date. Keep to the simple and easy stuff first.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:48 AM   #4
marauder1313

Thanks for the tips guys, ill definitely keep those in mind.
Does anything "wear out" by having the bike in gear with clutch in for an extended amount of time (waiting for a light, etc).
I know it does on a car (premature wear on the release bearing). I guess thats why I keep it in neutral
Also, as a quick follow up question,
Ive done a lot of preventative maintenance on the bike lately, but one thing I havent touched (nor want to), is the clutch.
How complicated is it to do a clutch on a bike like this?
What would a shop charge to replace it anyways?
Mines still good, but just want to get a rough idea in case anything happens
on my trip.
Thanks
Old 03-10-2015, 07:28 AM   #5
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauder1313 View Post
Thanks for the tips guys, ill definitely keep those in mind.
Does anything "wear out" by having the bike in gear with clutch in for an extended amount of time (waiting for a light, etc).
I know it does on a car (premature wear on the release bearing). I guess thats why I keep it in neutral
Also, as a quick follow up question,
Ive done a lot of preventative maintenance on the bike lately, but one thing I havent touched (nor want to), is the clutch.
How complicated is it to do a clutch on a bike like this?
What would a shop charge to replace it anyways?
Mines still good, but just want to get a rough idea in case anything happens
on my trip.
Thanks
The clutch on the G.Z. is a wet clutch & much more durable than a car clutch.It is also a much simpler design & easily replaced.All the components can be bought for less than a couple hundred dollars.