Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
jazzgrrl

Help! Clutch cable adjustment or something bigger......

Hi there, just purchased a 1999 GZ250 and am a newbie. Love this site....maybe someone can give me some advice?

Bike will not start. Turns over but won't catch. Started at the PO's place the night I bought it, and only a few times since. Clutch lever is very stiff, I wonder if when it was tied down at that point in the truck it became misaligned?....also, when trying to start in gear, bike tries to lunge even when clutch is fully disengaged.

Clutch cable adjustment?.... or is it bigger than that - as in a internal clutch problem?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - I've had her a week and have yet to ride her!!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-24-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
JWR

Re: Help! Clutch cable adjustment or something bigger......

Work the clutch lever, notice where the cable moves at the engine location.

Pull the lever in, see if you can move the the engine end of the cable some more with your other hand.

Sounds like you are not getting full release from the clutch.

Adjustment is under the black rubber at the lever.

Download the owners manual and look at the pictures.

This should get you started....

Jerry

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 05-25-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
thepaintbox

A bike that age (and the GZs see a lot of beginners, like myself) might need a new clutch. This isn't the worst possible thing to have happen to you. Just drain the oil and give the clutch a look...i don't know what you'd be looking for, but Google would.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:29 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Cure the lunging forward by putting the tranny in neutral. There is always some clutch plate drag especially with a cold engine and tranny. The starter is actually trying to move the bike when in gear. It should spin over a little quicker too.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Cure the lunging forward by putting the tranny in neutral. There is always some clutch plate drag especially with a cold engine and tranny. The starter is actually trying to move the bike when in gear. It should spin over a little quicker too.
My $.03.......

Be sure the battery is charged up fully.

You should NOT be trying to start it in gear.....unless you have stalled it on the road.
I thought that mine insisted on me being in neutral AND clutch pulled in....if the side stand was still down.

You are using the choke and NOT opening the throttle, right? About 1/2 choke is usually enough.

You might have too much slack in the clutch cable and/or a stretched cable.

Once you get it running again, a little carb. cleaner in the gas would probably be a good idea.

Over all, it might be worth your money to have a Suzuki dealer look the whole thing over.

My guess is that some minor adjustments and "technique" changes are all that is needed; a worn out clutch is doubtful at this point.

Good luck!!

P.S. I found even though my GZ was only 2 years old, that a good dose of cable lube made a HUGE difference in the clutch effort required.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
thepaintbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgrrl
Bike will not start. Turns over but won't catch. Started at the PO's place the night I bought it, and only a few times since...also, when trying to start in gear, bike tries to lunge even when clutch is fully disengaged.
This is a little ambiguous...will it idle in neutral? If it will, and yr only issue is it bucking and stalling into first, you have a slipping or not engaging clutch.

If it isn't starting in neutral, we have much bigger issues.

One thing is that the starter won't crank unless the clutch is depressed. If the starter is turning, this isn't the issue, but with all the clutch issues it might be worth mentioning.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaintbox
Quote:
Bike will not start. Turns over but won't catch. Started at the PO's place the night I bought it, and only a few times since...also, when trying to start in gear, bike tries to lunge even when clutch is fully disengaged.
This is a little ambiguous...will it idle in neutral? If it will, and yr only issue is it bucking and stalling into first, you have a slipping or not engaging clutch.

If it isn't starting in neutral, we have much bigger issues.

One thing is that the starter won't crank unless the clutch is depressed. If the starter is turning, this isn't the issue, but with all the clutch issues it might be worth mentioning.
No it will not idle in neutral because it will not start.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #8
jazzgrrl

The mystery continues....still won't start...

Bike in neutral, kickstand down, fuel on, choke open, pull in clutch fully, all basic stuff is being done.
I took a good look at the clutch cable at the handlebars and the engine and according to the manual they are fine.
Checked plug for spark, all good.
Tried to push start in alley....would juuuust start , then dies immediately when the clutch is let out.
I'm at a loss.....and the shop won't be able to look for a week! Guess I have time to PUSH it there

Thank you all for your suggestions
Old 05-26-2009, 07:10 AM   #9
Sarris

A GZ won't run if the battery is low. It may turn over, but I doesn't have enough juice to keep the ignitor firing.

I would suggest a jump start and see if she'll run while being jumped. If so... it's battery time.

Just another worthless opinion.

:whistle:
Old 05-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
choke open,

then dies immediately when the clutch is let out.
When describing a problem it is important to convey the RIGHT information, for instance:

When a choke is operated, it is closed, not open. Are you operating the choke? If so, how much? You should try it fully operated for a few seconds and then back to about half.

I assume with the push starting you mean that it dies when the clutch is pulled IN......???

+1 on what Sarris said about the battery.

And one final point that I don't think has been covered: Put the petcock lever to PRIme for about 10 minutes and then try to start; that's what the prime setting is for.....to be sure fuel is getting to the carbs after sitting for a while not running.