Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 05-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
burkbuilds

Sold my GZ, bought a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD

Thanks for everybody's tips that helped me make a decision about what bike I needed to replace my GZ. I really liked my GZ, and it has served me well but circumstances change in life and I needed something that could run with the Atlanta Highway traffic on a weekly basis driving back and forth from my home to Atlanta for the next three or so years.

I finally decided that the Kawasaki Vulcan 500 would do what I wanted within my budget and my local dealer (5 blocks from my house) made me a good price on a brand new 09 plus gave me book value trade in on my GZ. I could have done a little better if I was willing to drive 2 1/2 hours from home but there is a lot to be said for supporting your local independent business owner and building a relationship with them for future service needs too.

She runs great and very smooth in every respect. I'll have to "baby" her during the break in period though. Manual recommends keeping her under 50 mph for the first 500 miles and then under 72 mph for the next 500. That should take me about a month, and then she'll be ready to ride as I wish. Nice deep red paint job and brand new shiny chrome. First bike I've ever bought brand new!

I just ordered a Slipstreamer Falcon ss-32 windshield for her, and a nice sissy bar/backrest/luggage rack. The dealer made me a deal on saddle bag supports for $40 bucks OEM, couldn't complain about that. Now I've just got to wait for everything else to arrive and install it. I'll probably install heated grips too, they were nice to have last Winter, and combined with the Falcon windshield which gives some deflection out past my hands, I'm hoping to keep my fingers even warmer on those cold days. I'll try to get some pictures posted by tomorrow evening.

5/15/09 Got the windshield and some new saddle bags today and installed them this evening. Here are some pictures of the new gadgets on the bike.

I hope you guys won't mind if I continue to stay on this Forum. I did put 10K on my GZ last year and the advice I got on here was great and I've enjoyed the "personalities" I've encountered on this site. I didn't plan on getting rid of the GZ until the opportunity came up to study Engineering in the Atlanta area and life changed unexpectedly again. I was very happy with my GZ for all the driving I did around town and even for the occasionally (read twice a year) trip to Atlanta but I couldn't see me riding it there every week for three years. Anyway, I haven't seen another motorcycle forum that I liked anywhere near as much as this one and I plan to hang around unless Patrick or Dupo decide to shut me down.

Thanks again for everyone's advice!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-13-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Re: Sold my GZ, bought a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD

Just because you don't own a GZ doesn't mean you cant stay here

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 05-13-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Super happy for you. Congrats on the new ride. As for sticking around, why not ?? You have some knowledge and insight to share with us old timers and newbies alike. So you don't own a GZ anymore, heck I never have owned one. Did all the fun stuff on Lynda's bike and saw her move up to a larger bike just this year. I hope that I was/am a contributing member here and will probably hang around for a long time. Just being able to help out newbies with their questions is a reason to be here. Stick around and share your experience.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:36 AM   #4
dannylightning

let us know what you think of that bike after its all broke in and you get to tear around town on it..

congrats
Old 05-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Arkygs250

Congrats! I don't think you will regret the purchase!

Old 05-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

A month?! If I were you, I'd suck it up and knock the break-in out over the next two weekends. Who wouldn't want an excuse to go for two 250 mile rides on the weekend?!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
burkbuilds

Sounds nice, maybe I'll take your advice!
Old 05-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
Who wouldn't want an excuse to go for two 250 mile rides on the weekend?!
That sounded good when I first read in yesterday.

On further consideration, that distance would probably take 5-6 hours and that might be a bit much for a "new" bike you aren't totally familiar with yet.
Spread over 2 days it might be OK though.

So, sure, give it a go. Stop often and head for home when you start to feel tired !!!
Old 05-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
Blackbird

Enjoy your new bike! That seat looks nice and cushy. Those long rides may be more tolerable on it.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
burkbuilds

I've got about 120 miles on it now, just filled up with gas, 61 mpg around town, no GZ numbers but not bad at all. Man is this thing smooth! The ride is very nice. Hey Easy Rider, I ran some S curves near the house this afternoon (a couple of times) and it handles great! It didn't seem to take any more effort than the GZ did, maybe the fact that I'm a lot heavier than you are makes a little difference there. You moving up 100+ pounds on a bike is a lot "steeper" ratio than me since I probably outweigh you by 40-50 lbs (just guessing) based on info you've posted before. Just guessing on all that, but anyway, I couldn't really tell any difference in the way she handles the curves, and the larger diameter, and higher pressure, front tire seems to take those annoying curbs into parking lots a little easier than my GZ did. The GZ always felt like I was going all the way down to the rim when I crossed a couple of places I go regularly, and I went today on the Vulcan with much better results.

Yes the seat is a lot more comfy than the stock GZ, but I had customized my GZ seat last Summer and it was a better fit for my butt than this one, so I've already ordered some seat foam from Sargents' and talked to the guy that upholstered my GZ for me and this one's going custom as soon as I have time to re-work it to my body specs. Probably late next week or early the following week.