Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 03-15-2011, 02:42 AM   #51
Water Warrior 2

Re: Bought a Vulcan EN750 on e-bay today

Don't know a thing about rebuilding seats or doing upholstery but it seems to me that most of the comfy aftermarket seats are mostly a variation of the old tractor seat. Wide at the rear and very supportive. Might be an idea to research that mod. Also iffn you want storage and a backrest maybe a top case in place of the passenger seat would work for you. You clearly have the skill to make a light steel mounting plate for a top case mounting plate to be attached to..

Should have a pic of Lynda's old GZ here somewhere. You probably would forego the backpad on the top case.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #52
burkbuilds

I think you hit the nail on the head with your assessment of what makes a seat comfortable. Wide, dished and supportive are the keys. Almost all the factory motorcycle seats I've sat on seem to put most of the pressure on about a 5" diameter circle. Comfortable seating usually requires that you spread the load out across the largest area possible and give lateral support for the sides and includes some support for your thighs. My comfy desk chair for example goes almost out to the back of my knees and is wider than my big butt.
I've also noticed that a back support at just the right spot can make my ride more comfortable and much less fatiguing. If it is to low it bothers my lower back and if it is to high I end up sitting in a bad posture which makes my back hurt after a short period of time, but if it is in the sweet spot, I sit with good posture, in a more relaxed position and with less effort holding on to the handlebars.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #53
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
most of the comfy seats are mostly a variation of the old tractor seat.
That's what came as standard on my 1959 Lambretta LI 150. Never had anything as comfy, since.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #54
Water Warrior 2

The nicest bike in the world can be a torture device without an adequate seat. My Vstrom started out that way for me. The first 3000 kms were put on 15 minutes at a time and then I had to stop and get off because of the discomfort and/or extreme pain. The seat did absolutely nothing to support me although many riders found the seat just dandy. I eventually sprung for a Gel seat which made my day. Now as age changes everything it does not provide adequate support to my old and weakening superstructure. So I am giving some very serious consideration to a Corbin seat. It does not appear much different than the present seat but Corbin makes their own seat base which I think is the deciding factor in comfort. Even the Russell DayLong seat uses the factory seat base which I think is just the wrong shape.
Gotta do the income taxes before popping for a seat though. I'd hate to order the seat and then find out I need that extra few $100 to buy my portion of the government foolishness programs.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #55
mrlmd1

What's more important, your butt's comfort or the govt.'s butt's foolishness?

Old 03-16-2011, 12:00 AM   #56
Water Warrior 2

Apparently the Gov. foolishness is more important than my comfort so I will play their game for a while longer. Down to H+R Block to do the taxes on thursday and probably order the seat no matter what the outcome. Sometimes I just like to have all the info before I make the obvious right decision.
The seat will be about $560, maybe a bit more but if I can't ride it as is the bike is basically a large paperweight.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:53 AM   #57
alantf

Quote:
The seat will be about $560, maybe a bit more
Old 03-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #58
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
The seat will be about $560, maybe a bit more
Yeah but I'm worth it. :2tup:
Old 03-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #59
burkbuilds

Which seat have you decided on? The Russel or the Corbin or something else. I read a lot of information on both of these companies designs before I made my last seat and I thought they had some really good information. I did make my own seat pan, but I used a lot of the design ideas from the Russel website.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #60
Water Warrior 2

I think the Corbin will be the choice. They make their own seat base which is probably a bonus in the long run. The other seat folks tend to use the stock base and I think they are working with a flawed piece to begin with(flawed for my behind). There is an authorized Corbin dealer in the GWN and the price is not that out of line with U.S. prices. Probably cheaper in the long run if I buy it here rather than deal with cross border shipping and duties on top of the U.S. price.
Will probably order the seat tomorrow after the taxman gets a piece of me. Order conformatiom the next day hopefully and then 4/5 weeks waiting time.