Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 10-14-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
daisymazy

Sissy bar question

this 250 gz is my beginner . but at my age it may be my only bike. i to wanted it to sound deeper and louder. love the rumble. when my husband and i ride together he just has to let me start my bike first because when he starts his harley i can't hear my bike. i can control this bike good and i have been pricing harleys and have about ruled them out. too pricey. so if i go bigger , it may be a honda or vstar. in the meantime i have found a sissy bar i am going to order for the 99 gz. could anyone tell me how they attach to the bike thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: sissi bar question

The sissy bar will bolt on to the GZ in the same location as the chrome rail on the rear fender. Longer bolts will come with the sissy bar. Some one will post a pic for you shortly.
As for a larger bike I will assume you are looking at the 650 to 750 range of bikes. Take a look at the Suzuki M-50 and C-50 models. They are 800 cc's and quite a nice bike overall. The C-50 would be my personal choice with foot boards instead of foot pegs, larger seat and a more cruiser look than the M-50.

That said, Lynda likes her M-50 with C-50 handle bars on it. Now it fits her 5' 3" frame and shorter arms. More leverage and less stretch.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
daisymazy

thank you so much. we have a local suzuki store and i will go by tomorrow and check out the m-50 and c-50. this forum is so nice and helpful. hi to lynda .love to see a pic of her and bike. thanks again and have a great week end.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymazy
thank you so much. we have a local suzuki store and i will go by tomorrow and check out the m-50 and c-50. this forum is so nice and helpful. hi to lynda .love to see a pic of her and bike. thanks again and have a great week end.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
mrlmd1

A little unsolicited advice - wait a year or so before you move up to a bigger heavier bike. First, you will have more experience and knowledge and not be intimidated by another 150-200 lbs of bike weight and double or triple the horsepower. Second, you will see a lot of other bikes in that time, can sit on a lot of them in a dealership or from people you meet on the road, and you may change your mind about the whole thing. Figure out exactly what you want to do with the bike - pleasure rides, trips to town, or long road trips, Different bikes for different needs. Don't let any salesman pressure you into a newer or bigger bike - they just want to make a sale and couldn't care 2 craps about you, your health or safety. And don't rule out looking at good used bikes - Craigslist and eBay are your friends. I bought my 3 current bikes on there and have been very satisfied with each deal. Ride the GZ, you will like it, it will be your friend and do just about everything you want it to.
BTW, if you are thinking of someday getting a bigger bike, why do you want a sissy bar? For attaching luggage? Instead of spending money on that, I would go for a windshield. And saddlebags can do the same thing for carrying stuff and you can take them with you for your next bike. Or think about getting an engine guard/crash bar, for personal safety and also bike protection (s**t happens).
You don't get a great return on investment for accessories, it doesn't add much to the value of the bike, except you customized it to your liking and that can be a good thing.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Well said mrlmd1. Lynda rode the GZ for 3 years before moving up. She did look very hard at a beautiful well kept, well equiped used 750 Honda right here in our parking area. It also was chain drive, carbed and air cooled which she did not want. I'm sure it went to a good home eventually.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
daisymazy

wow, that bike of lyndas really looks nice. when i get ready to go to a bigger bike. i appreciate so much all the good advise.the reason i want the sissi bars is to carry a little more if i go on longer trips. i have a windshied and saddle bags that were made for the suzuki but those things are so small. the sissi barsa aren't a have to have thing . i could always use
a small backpack if i need more space. the sis bar is expensive. or to me it is and i have 2 trips, a cruise and a grandaughters wedding coming up. note to lynda, admire you so much , i know you had fun. would you do it again? thanks to everyone for all the help. i really need you guys.[attachment=0:2usd99ln]bikes&d 001.JPG[/attachment:2usd99ln]
Old 10-14-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
mrlmd1

You can just get a luggage rack, which is different than the sissy bar. The sissy bar attaches vertically at the rear of the seat, as a backrest for a passenger, at the front of the rack (which is over the rear fender), or you can get a combo unit. It's all how much money you want to spend.
The Suzuki bags are really small.
Nice bike BTW.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Looks like you are a happy rider in the pic. Big wind shield too. Must be a real + with bugs out and looking for a target to splat on. Would Lynda do it again ?? In a heart beat to say the least. The GZ was a wonderful bike to enter into the riding world and the M-50 is just more bike and much more satisfying on the road with more power and a better ride. It will also support a few more electrical add-ons if wanted.
Hmm, pics of the GZ are here somewhere.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:15 AM   #10
daisymazy

love the bike pictures. beautiful. that lyndas a real trooper. bet she feels just like i do . age is just a number. we are goiing to ride on the parkway in the mountains this week end . i'll try to get some pics . i love seeing everyones pictures.
mrlmd1 suggested a luggage rack. duh, hadn't even thought of that, neat idea. gonna check in out bet i can do it more reasonable that a bar. thanks mrlmd1 and i love florida. its like a second home. taking it to bed . G'night ya'll.