Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-27-2014, 03:11 AM   #211
Cathy

I had someone else do it, but rebuilding is harder than actually changing the major seals and oil so it would be okay for a novice mechanic. Just download the online manual and everything should be okay. Tools might a a small challenge though. Everything was done at home just not by me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #212
beefjerky

I just followed badbobs how to fix a slippery clutch as the clutch was slipping under acceleration. Im pretty much a complete novice to mechanics but needed this fixed.

It was a 100% success. Much more responsive in all gear changes and finds neutral much easier, no drag or slip, no leaks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #213
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky View Post
I just followed badbobs how to fix a slippery clutch as the clutch was slipping under acceleration. Im pretty much a complete novice to mechanics but needed this fixed.

It was a 100% success. Much more responsive in all gear changes and finds neutral much easier, no drag or slip, no leaks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Give yourself a pat on the back. The sense of accomplishment is great isn't it.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:01 AM   #214
351 power

Had my gz250 for about three weeks now and finished getting it tuned up after it sat a couple years. I drilled out the idle mix screw plug and set the idle. Changed the oil and filter, it was dirty. Got an air filter cause the mice used the old one for storage. Built a stand and got the chain tightened and lubed. New spark plug the old one wasn't even tight in the hole, some blow by. This wasn't all one day but I had a great time learning as I worked. Even found out about Sea Foam. Bike is working so much better than that first test ride. Got some good info here. Thanks to all!
Old 10-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #215
Water Warrior 2

QUOTE=351 power;82311]Had my gz250 for about three weeks now and finished getting it tuned up after it sat a couple years. I drilled out the idle mix screw plug and set the idle. Changed the oil and filter, it was dirty. Got an air filter cause the mice used the old one for storage. Built a stand and got the chain tightened and lubed. New spark plug the old one wasn't even tight in the hole, some blow by. This wasn't all one day but I had a great time learning as I worked. Even found out about Sea Foam. Bike is working so much better than that first test ride. Got some good info here. Thanks to all![/QUOTE]
A bit of TLC makes a big difference and the learning experience will add to your overall ownership.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #216
ImaginativeFig

My bike lasted me the full Ren Fest season and now that Fest's over, I gave 'im a bit of love today. Replaced random bolts that had fallen out (2 of the sprocket cover bolts, the back back seat bolt, one of the plastic side covers bolts... just realized my back exhaust bolt is missing still... oops), adjusted the back brake light sensor cable so the light actually turns on when I brake, topped up the oil, replaced the valve cover seal that was leaking, and gave him a good bath (dirt roads and a wee bit of off road riding made a right good mess of him).
I need to replace the fork seals, the left one's leaking pretty good. I have the 2 rubber seals for each side and the fork fluid, reading on here people were talking about a copper gasket, so I may hafta look into that
Old 12-07-2014, 11:58 PM   #217
Water Warrior 2

Use a dab of Blue Loktite when replacing the lost bolts.

Sounds like you have been doing some riding and enjoying it.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #218
Fatch

Today, I looked longingly at the bikes in my friend's garage, checked the trickle chargers, and remembered that I need a new drain screw for my carburetor 'cause it's stripped.

Hopefully in the next few days, with the weather being slightly better, I'll fire them up and let'em run so the fuel stabilizer actually gets into that carb, and so they're not sitting all winter without being run. Doubt we'll actually get on the bikes for a ride, tho. Even in warmer weather (40 degrees), the ice and snow is likely to still be around and her experience isn't exactly... high.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:08 AM   #219
PhilDur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatch View Post
Today, I looked longingly at these rangefinder binoculars and the bikes in my friend's garage, checked the trickle chargers, and remembered that I need a new drain screw for my carburetor 'cause it's stripped.

Hopefully in the next few days, with the weather being slightly better, I'll fire them up and let'em run so the fuel stabilizer actually gets into that carb, and so they're not sitting all winter without being run. Doubt we'll actually get on the bikes for a ride, tho. Even in warmer weather (40 degrees), the ice and snow is likely to still be around and her experience isn't exactly... high.
I need to do that as well, Fatch. No chance in hell of riding them either. Winter sucks, doesn't it? haha

Last edited by PhilDur; 01-26-2024 at 04:35 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:02 AM   #220
Gunk

Buddy of mine sold me his GZ a few weeks ago, and the first thing that needed to be done was a good clean job.

Ended up taking the front and rear fender, seat, air box, gas tank, side covers, chrome pieces on the rear of the bike off, and accompanying harness was completely disconnected from the frame, and zip tied to the front of the bike.

Doused all the oil/dirt mixture that coated the entire rear of the bike in degreaser, and watched years of grime just pour onto the floor, as well as a complete disassembly of the parts and pieces to get a real good cleaning.

Swapped bad indicator lights for LEDs while everything was taken apart (we had an influx of LED indicators for our trucks come into work that didn't end up working for what they needed. They were going to toss them anyways so they had no issue letting me take a few).

After removing a few minor rust spots from here and there, and coating the bare metal in a quick coat of paint, I scratched my head until I figured out which bolt went where and what fit what, I got her all back together.

Looks a million times better already, just gotta feed her some gas and fire her up in the morning.