Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
burkbuilds

My broken leg is finally mended

Almost three months ago today I went down hard and broke 5 ribs, my right shoulder, punctured a lung, and broke my right Tibia and tore

out the ACL and MCL in the right knee. I'm getting up there in years and I heal a lot more slowly than I once did. They tell me a

teenager would have healed a long time ago. Anyway, I went back for x-rays again today and got the good news that my Tibia is finally

healed and now I can put my full weight on that leg again and start learning to walk. I've already done a little walking, it's fatiguing and

slightly painful but not to bad. I've got a ways to go, but at least I can start that journey now and I was released to go back to work in

a seated position for the next month, then walking but not lifting for another month, then full duty. Thanks for everyone's kind words and

prayers as I healed up over the last three months. :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Rookie Rider

Re: My broken leg is finally mended

Thats great, good job. Must have been a tiring journey to get back to your old self again. Youre almost there.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Absolutely wonderful news. Good for you BB. I'll bet you are just itching to get into that trike kit now. :lol:

Old 07-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
burkbuilds

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the trike kit for my new Vulcan 900. I just couldn't wait any more and took the bike out for a short

15 mile ride last Saturday morning, for which I was called, "Stupid, stupid, stupid . . ." by more than one of my relatives after I returned.

I had a nice ride even if it wasn't very long. The 900 is a very nice ride, super smooth, handles well and has lots of torque. I took it a

little ways down Hyw. 27 towards Chickamauga then turned off and drove through part of the Chickamauga Battlefield and then a few side

roads before heading back to the house. That was my first time back in the saddle since the wreck and my first ride on the new 900 too.

It couldn't have been a nicer morning to ride, temps in the upper 70's and mostly Sunny. I probably shouldn't have been out since I didn't

have the okay yet to put any weight on my right leg, but I just had the gut feeling that it was doing okay enough to handle it if I needed

to put my right leg down to hold myself up, so I went for it.

Here's a shot of the hardware they bolted my leg together with.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Rookie Rider

Damn !!!

Old 07-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
bpdchief

Glad to see you up and about BB. That picture makes my leg hurt. I think you did good going for a short ride on the new bike - do it again !! :rawk: Can't wait to see the trike when you "git er done"

Take care , be safe and finish mending.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

OUCH OUCH OUCH !!!! I was thinking about a ride until I saw that X-ray. Maybe tomorrow. :lol:
Old 07-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
Rionna

I'm glad you're on the road to recovery and hope you are fully healed very quickly. You will get tired initially because of the weakness of your muscles from being non-weight bearing for so long. Be patient with yourself, consistent in the physical therapy and you will be moving well very soon. Take care!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
burkbuilds

Thanks Rionna, Yes, I pushed it way to much the first couple of days after they told me I could start walking again and that put me in some serious pain for several days and I'm still not as pain free as I was that first day walking. So, I am trying to be more patient and not overdo it, but mentally, I'm ready to go, go, go. It will be a while before the rest of me is completely ready. Thanks again for your encouragement.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
PimpS

Keep up the good recovery!