Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
GilHirien

Greetings from the South!

Hey everybody, I'm a new rider down here in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. I am 23 years old, a Probation/Electronic Monitoring officer, and I dabble in all manner of senseless things like blacksmithing, bowyering, crafting, and artsy things in general.

I bought my bike about a month ago due to the unfortunate event of my truck engine blowing up O_o . I was looking for some alternate transportation while I look for an engine for my truck ('97 Ford F-150) and happened upon a listing on Craigslist for a GZ250. Guy was asking $1200 for it initially which is about what I had on hand at the time (only because I happened to get a bonus from my job the morning before my engine blew up; Luck, I have none). Talked him down to $900, before he discovered a problem. Darn thing kept blowing the main fuse when shifting out of neutral. Offered it to me for $300 and I loaded up with a friend of my brother who works on bikes to pick the thing up. I figured as long as nothing catastrophic was wrong, I could fix it up for cheaper than the initial asking price and come out okay. Got down there, replaced the fuse, took a quick look at some of the wires, got it running and loaded it up on the back of my associate's pickup for $450. The problem BTW was, as I discovered upon closer inspection at my house, that the wiring harness had gotten pushed up by the chain and had begun to wear away at the wires on a hard shift. The result of course was that it eventually contacted bare wire jumping into first and grounded the wire causing the fuse to blow. Took all of 15 minutes to fix. I have since put on some additional lights up front which REALLY help for the night rides. Unfortunately I've either created or happened upon another electrical problem that will soon be posted in the appropriate section for assistance.

Its done me really good so far, and I love the hell out of it. Aside from my first day on the thing (also my first day on a bike EVER) I have never had any problems with it. The first day was an adventurous affair though and I have a lovely 4" scar on my left shin now :roll: . It was a noob mistake. I pulled into the driveway after going round the block and my brother was beside me talking. I tried to kick it up into neutral but went into second by mistake and since I was busy talking I neither heard, felt or saw myself go too far. I let go of the clutch and the handlebar with my left hand with my right hand still on the brake, not that it did any good, and the bike took off toward the house. Being brand new to motorcycles and more than a little panicked I couldn't seem to get my hand back on the clutch. I managed to swerve right and miss the brick of the house by inches but ran myself straight along and slightly inside of the bushes in front of the house before I regained my grip and toppled the bike over in the grass on top of myself. Was LOTS of fun! The bushes gouged my leg pretty good despite the long pants (thank God for 5.11's) and now I have a pretty gruesome looking scar . Anyway, was back on the bike the next day and I've been in love ever since!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
JWR

Re: Greetings from the South!

Great buy on the bike.

You have a bit of a learning curve ahead of you...

Check out riding gear.

Be safe and have fun.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 09-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
GilHirien

Thanks. Been looking at riding gear since before I bought the bike, just waiting on funds. Rent and whatnot. Indeed on the learning curve and I'm not shy to admit it. After the first real shock that it was, I've had no other mistakes and learned the usefulness of the friendly letters contained in "DON'T PANIC!". I just hadn't respected the bike enough for what it was (death trap) and got careless from overconfidence riding around before hand. It felt so natural to ride that I thought "hey, I got this!" Irony stepped in and kicked me in the @$$ when I was PARKING! Needless to say I pay attention now and no such mistakes have been made.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Welcome from the GWN. Glad to hear the first scar wasn't a deadly one. Now you can look for riding gear with a little more motivation and a scar to prove it's need.
As a newbie on 2 wheels we tend to always recommend you get some professional training. A riding course will do wonders for your skill level initially and prevent wild rides into bushes. Also highly recommended and not a bank breaker is a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. This read may well save your life many times over with hints and first hand knowledge that many riders never hear about or learn. We just call the book the bible of motorcycling.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:24 AM   #5
mole2

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina. If you haven't already I'd recommend you take the MSF BRC (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course). It's the best investment in your safety you can make. Ride safe.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #6
PimpS

Welcome!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
northsidegz

Welcome to the forums! Glad to hear you're ok after your first "whoops"! :popcorn: Agreed with the others on taking the course. And I found the book The Complete Idiots Guide to Motorcycles to be really useful. I read it before taking the course and the course went pretty well because of that.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiot...o+motorcycling

Oh, and as long as I'm thinking of it, just be advised that you get what you pay for when it comes to accessories and attire. I bought a Power Trip Ronin denim jacket with armour (I think I got it for $40 new off eBay, a darn good price even for that jacket), but it is falling apart already after just over a year's worth of riding. It had good reviews everywhere "for the price." And, it does serve my purpose, that's true. But the velcro has fallen off (on the wrists). A button broke off. I'm a little disappointed and I've heard that from others that you really get what you pay for when it comes to motorcycle attire. :whistle:
Old 09-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Hey man, it's all good. Chicks dig scars. Just tell them a different story when you explain how you got it.

You have a great buy on a simple bike. Not much ever really goes wrong with these things. And the few things that are known to fail consistently are covered ad-nauseum in this forum.

Welcome to the club, brother.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #9
GilHirien

Thanks guys. I'm covered in scars already so that was never an issue. If a day goes by that I am not bleeding somewhere the world will end. I don't mind telling the real story. I had zero instruction and it was my first day and I was busy being a dumb@$$. I only got the bike out of necessity since I had no other way to get to work and didn't have time for a safety course before I had to use the thing. Bought it on Friday. It rode back home on someone else's pickup and I learned to ride it on Saturday. Practiced more Sunday, and drove it to work on Monday. Couldn't get an engine for my truck or any car that would run on the money I had on hand so it was a kind of surprise emergency purchase. Will take the course when I get the money, if only for the insurance break. Thanks for the tips on gear and books! I've been looking at stuff but money is REALLY tight right now. It should comfort some to know that I have been riding with a thick cowhide leather jacket I had already, and my boots and gloves when I'm not in my work clothes. I have to wear dress clothes or business casual for work and they won't let me walk in in my gear. But when ever I have a say in the matter, I'm well covered. Buying a pair of nice boots tomorrow that I can wear with my work clothes so that I can STAY protected. If it weren't an absolute necessity to have a working vehicle available for daily use, I'd have taken my time learning and going through the course before I ever tried to take it on the road, but alas, I did what I HAD to do.... Thanks again for the well wishes and welcomes everybody.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
Maggie

Welcome Gil and thanks for the very detailed description of your mishap. We all have had them and there is no shame here. Of course, we may do a little :poke2: here and there...but all in fun. Most people on this forum subscribe to the ATGATT philosophy (all the gear all the time) so you are likely to get a few more friendly suggestions to gear up. Your bones and brains are way too valuable to skimp on gear. And...since you saved so much on the purchase price...sorry...off my soapbox now. WELCOME!