Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 03-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #12
JWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post

I learned all I need to know on the internet.
Get with the program old timer.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 03-16-2014, 11:49 PM   #13
Cathy

Qasual - The learning how to ride part or survive part. Haha just kidding.

Honestly though, riding is easy. Surviving is not. Knowing the body language of vehicles that will merge into you without shoulder checking is pretty crucial. But that is just one example out of many "freak accidents" that can be avoided.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:56 AM   #14
grndslm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
Qasual - The learning how to ride part or survive part. Haha just kidding.

Honestly though, riding is easy. Surviving is not. Knowing the body language of vehicles that will merge into you without shoulder checking is pretty crucial. But that is just one example out of many "freak accidents" that can be avoided.
Like I said, I've been riding a 30mph motorized bicycle for years.

The GZ250 is only going to be ridden up to 60mph, and I'm willing to bet is going to be safer than a motorized bicycle. People will pull out in front of a bike all the time, because they don't really expect motors on a typical push bike. I used to shoulder the road and let people pass, but eventually I realized that it's my road too and would hog the whole lane so that people wouldn't pass and kill me.

I'm not a TOTAL n00b. Just interested in specific info on the bike, really. Thanks for your concern, tho.

One thing I really do hate, tho... is the twist grip throttle control. I much prefer the shaved down brake handle I use as a thumb lever throttle control. Wonder if anybody has rigged up something like this on their bike? I probably won't change it too much... to at least get used to the twist grip, but it really makes no sense to me why you would want to constantly change your grip while accelerating/decelerating, therefore changing your position from the brake lever. That's the ONLY thing that I don't get about motorcycle safety!!
Old 03-17-2014, 05:02 AM   #15
Water Warrior 2

The twist grip throttle will make sense with more time on the bike.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #16
grasshopper

I did the opposite with an ATV. I removed the thumb lever and put a twist throttle on it because I was used to the twist throttle. It can be done.
I have never seen or heard of someone with a thumb throttle on a motorcycle so if you do it take some pictures and post them.

http://youtu.be/KIS9Hzv--f0
https://youtu.be/fvmTNllcQOQ
Old 03-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #17
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
I've ridden motorized bicycles for a few years, so I'm not completely inexperienced. I know that gravity and gravel are my two worst enemies that I must learn to control or avoid all together.

Definitely will be wearing all gear all the time.

Like I said in the OP, was just looking for a quick and dirty intro to operating & maintaining this specific bike. I will definitely reading the manual at some point.... but I only have a few hours a week that I'm "free", so a quick answer to whether or not the fuel valve needs to be rotated and any other "non-obvious" schtuff is all I need. Other than my own practice. Think I'm about to head to a parking lot right now....

I guess you didn't read reply number 2 above by 5th Bike.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #18
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
Yup

Attached Images
File Type: jpg facepalm_227785.jpg (15.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-23-2014, 02:41 AM   #19
grndslm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2 View Post
I guess you didn't read reply number 2 above by 5th Bike.

Oh, I did.... but I also included an and in that statement, followed by some other words in that sentence that you did not put in bold font. "... and any other 'non-obvious' schtuff is all I need."

One example of non-obvious schtuff would be that in order to remove the key from the lock cylinder, the handlebars must be turned all the way to the left. Ditto for "unlocking" the cylinder in order to start the bike.

As a matter of fact, tho, I am having a problem with the fuel valve not turning at all... http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6953

And there is another question hidden inside, about filling the bike up on the kickstand -vs- filling it while holding the bike straight up to get to the advertised 3.5 gallon capacity.

Pretty good bike, tho. Perhaps just a tad slower than I expected, but that's definitely not a bad thing for a first motorcycle. Got a great insurance premium w/ comprehensive coverage. Only problem is that they won't allow me to get "uninsured motorist property damage" without buying "uninsured motorist bodily harm", which would essentially double the premium. Not too keen on uninsured motorist bodily harm when I already have health insurance. The agent told me that this is the way my state requires the insurance policy to be set up, but I highly doubt it.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:51 AM   #20
Water Warrior 2

I can't reply to any insurance issues but I can to filling the tank. Always get off the bike and fill it while it is on the side stand. The difference between really topped up with the bike upright is not great. If you are straddling the bike to fill it and a dumbass rolls in and bumps the bike you will regret it.