Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 05-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
grego

CHOKE DOESN'T WORK

HI ALL

well today i discovered that the choke doesn't work. i don't know how much travel it should have but it only goes an inch at best. i didn't want to force it. i chased the cable to the carb and i found that it is all enclosed with a nut. i looked at the service manual and the only thing i found for the "start plunger" is how to adjust the slack. i need your expert instructions on
1. to determine if the porblem is in the hand grip
2. the cable
3. the carb

also need expert instructions on how to fix it.

i also discovered that the rear brake adjusting nut has a nail in it instead of a cotter pin.
am sure finding a lot of things to raise some doubts about the history on the bike. when i bought it the odometer said 168 miles. the cycle shop i bought it from said the owner had all the work done at his shop. oh its a 2006

safe biking
grego

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-18-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
Cujo

Hey everyone....

So I'm having the same problem Grego had. My bike sat for a long time and now the choke lever won't budge at all.

I took the handlebar housing apart and took the lever off of the cable, and the cable definitely is stuck. I poured penetrating oil on the cable part hoping it will go down the tube, but it hasn't improved anything as of yet.

Here's my (bigger) problem.... I removed my gas tank so that I could remove the starter plunger 14mm nut off the carb, but the nut is completely stuck on there. As much as I try, it won't budge, even after putting oil on the nut as well. And the more I tried to force it, the more the carb moved and made me afraid that the carb would dislodge from the engine.

So, any suggestions on how I can get that nut off so that I can fix or replace that cable?

Thanks all!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
5th_bike

Well I would first try to get the cable going because then you don't have to remove the nut. I once read that a good way of getting oil in the cable is to take a plastic ziploc and cut a tiny corner off it, feed the cable through, then tape the plastic to the outer cable, then pour some oil in the bag and it will easily run down the inside of the cable. I would just use motor oil like they recommend.

Second, about the nut, penetrating oil takes some time, (I figured you used like WD-40) so just give it a rest and try again tomorrow.

Good luck.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
Cujo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike View Post
Well I would first try to get the cable going because then you don't have to remove the nut. I once read that a good way of getting oil in the cable is to take a plastic ziploc and cut a tiny corner off it, feed the cable through, then tape the plastic to the outer cable, then pour some oil in the bag and it will easily run down the inside of the cable. I would just use motor oil like they recommend.

Second, about the nut, penetrating oil takes some time, (I figured you used like WD-40) so just give it a rest and try again tomorrow.

Good luck.
I never thought about the ziploc, that's a very good idea which I'll try tomorrow. I did oil up the nut and cable as much as I could and planned to leave it for a day or two, so hopefully it'll work with time. Thanks a lot for the suggestion!
Old 07-18-2014, 11:54 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Automatic transmission oil will work as a penetrating oil. It will clean and lube a cable quite nicely.