Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 08-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
paulisnofun

My GZ 's top speed seems low

After a short amount of time practice riding in my neighborhood, I decided to actually taker her (2002 GZ250. 4500 miles) in to the real world. Yesterday was the second time I rode to work, and noticed that the bike doesn't seem to have the (for lack of a better word) balls that I thought it would. Reading on the forums, I saw that people had a top spead of around 70 miles per hour, and I am not close to that. I have about a half an our comute to work, no highway, just plain old suburban roads (mostly flat). The max speed limit on my route is 45, so I am not looking to go 75, but feel like maxing out at around 50 isn't right. That is 50 in fifth gear, with the throttle totally open.
Now, I am a bigger dude. I am six feet tall and weigh about 245 or so without my helmet and laptop bag. Would the fact that I am about as many pounds as my bike has CCs lower my top spead by that much? If not, where would be a good place to start looking to see where the lack of power comes from? I believe the person I bought the bike from said that a tune up had been done shortly before he sold it to me. Any help/advice would be great.
Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

I installed a 16 tooth front sprocket and can reach 80 mph on my GZ barring any wind or hills, but with the stock 15 tooth front sprocket you should easily cruise at 60 mph for extended trips with the same caveats. Just remember that you are creating a lot of wear and tear on that single cylinder engine at those higher revs. Safe riding.