Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 04-12-2009, 03:00 AM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Re: Home made driver's backrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianinflorida
It won't be a horrible cost for materials, my welder can cut the parts from scrap. The plating and a few bucks for his time are all that I'd need to cover, and youd need to either buy or make the backrest (Padded part). I'll keep everyone posted after the first one is made, then we can figure out if it's worth it. I don't know if I want to use it for myself, as I tend to sit further back on the saddle to extend the distance to the pegs for myself, so the prototype will probably be available at the very least.
I think I can manage the backrest okay. I can make that out of materials and tools I am comfortable with.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #12
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider

Anyone interested in this should check out http://www.protac.net. They quoted me one on for my Vulcan for $130. I think they are a small shop and would probably consider making one for the GZ. Main advantage is removablility. You could also look at http://www.utpr.com/ for the Utopia back rests

If they aren't willing and if there's interest. We do metal fabrication where I work, mostly structural stuff. I could ask my shop manager how much it would cost to fabricate something similar. We don't have a CNC cutting machine so everything would be a straight cut shear and/or hand cut. In other words It wouldn't have all the pretty radius cuts shown on daddylaci drawings. We'd probably use 1/4" steel and not weld the bends. This means the bends would not be as sharp, but will cut the cost down significantly. The pieces would come as raw uncoated steel. We have no means of chrome plating. You would have to use a grinder to clean up any sharp edges and prime/paint as you see fit. Also you'd be on your own for all fastening hardware and the actual back rest cushion. Unless there is significant interest I personally don't see how we could make it cheap enuff to be worth it.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:21 AM   #13
dannylightning

haha i wouldent want to ride on the back seat if you had to slam on the breaks... crotch right in to a metal bar hahaha...

great idea, a little back support is always nice i hate setting on something like aa stool with no back for long periods of time, my back always hurts.

you could probably sell those on ebay especially if you could make them for other bikes too

Old 04-14-2009, 03:36 AM   #14
daddylaci

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Daddyl,

I have two dumb questions:

Where do you buy metal plating (and what do you buy?)
How do you cut/bend it?
So, there is a little cheating. :whistle: I made the plan of the all backrest and after that had the backrest base made by a mechanic shop. They gave the metal plate. After that I took away that to a chrome plating shop to make a chrom surface. Meanwhile, I made the backrest from plywood and had the cover made by an upholsterer. The prise altogether is about 45 USD.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #15
D Futch

I used your idea and it worked out great. Not as nice as yours just painted mine no chrome. But it is nice and it is a much better ride now. I used some scape metal, wood and paint I had around the house and had a local upholstery shop make the black pad/cover it cost $35.00 and maybe 2 or 3 hours of my time any how thanks for a great idea!!!!!! :2tup: :2tup: :2tup:

Old 05-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #16
Irishmike

:rawk: Man, you are the greatest. A back rest would cost $300 to $400. you didn't say what [youtube]ind of steel you used or [youtube]how to shap it!!?? [/youtube][/youtube]Irishmike (newbie) :2tup:
Old 05-11-2011, 02:36 AM   #17
Water Warrior 2

You do realize this thread is 2 years old ??? But you could fabricate your own pretty easily out of bits and pieces. If you can't work with metal go and find a fab shop with the dimensions you want and they can cut and bend for a reasonable fee.