Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 10-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
buud

600 mile mark

Hello Folks,
Just rolled over my first 600 miles today. Still here in one piece and enjoying it more each day. A lot of the problems experienced in the beginning are disappearing with time in the saddle as some of you were sage enough to foretell a few weeks back.

Still having some trouble with first gear, but I am starting to use my head and gear down when approaching a stop. Spend a lot of time checking for first, but not like in the beginning. I also find that when the light seems like its getting ready to go green, I amble up to the light so I can go thru in second rather than make the stop and have to hurry to get going again in traffic...

I also notice that I go thru the gears pretty fast when starting up. Reminds me of my wife's 65 VW with its incredibly low gear ratios. First simply gets its moving - not fast - just moving and its time to shift to second. Very similar to the GZ250 - I do a lot of shifting in traffic.

Big improvement in turns: getting the feel of the need to set up the proper speed prior to entry point. For some reason initially I tended not to slow down enough prior to the turn. Also turns from a stop are now a routine piece of cake.

Last observation, I ride strictly for recreation and find that doing approximately the speed limits really does offer plenty of enjoyment. Up around 45 mph the wind becomes a big deal particularly where the true wind is
head-on and the ride becomes somewhat of a tug-of-war...

Enjoying my ride for sure. Thanks for the tips from you folks, my first 600 have been safe.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-08-2011, 02:11 AM   #2
cayuse

Re: 600 mile mark

:2tup:

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 10-08-2011, 04:45 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Re: 600 mile mark

Sounds great. Your learning curve is good. Ride Safe.

Login or Register to Remove Ads