Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 04-19-2012, 03:22 AM   #1
greatmaul

carry a spare bulb

Just a little tip for any new riders who haven't heard. Since you only have one headlight, it is smart to have a spare under the seat and a screwdriver. There should be a screwdriver in the toolkit, but if you don't have a tookit, it pays to make a small set of tools to carry with you also.

(If you search "toolkit" on this site, you'll likely find the needed components.) Make sure you toss in a few fuses and maybe a spare brake light bulb also.

OH, and just in case you're thinking that if you lose the low beam, you can just ride with the high beam and vice versa, don't count on that. I lost my high beam driving home on a mountain road about 3 weeks ago, and when I calmly clicked the switch for the low beam, nothing. They were both out.

I did have a spare bulb, but I was really close to home so I just rode home by the glow of the leds. Illegal, yes, and stupid, but I really am just that lazy.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
Rionna

Re: carry a spare bulb

Thanks for the tip. I never even thought about it, but you are so right. I will go and get my roadside emergency items today.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

You will also need a small flashlight to replace the headlight bulb after dark. The Garrity LED disposable flashlight is handy and cheap. Or just get one of those handy dandy clip ons for the beak of your cap. Hands free and worth their weight in gold. I like the fact that the light is a line of sight thing with my eyes.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
greatmaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
You will also need a small flashlight to replace the headlight bulb after dark. The Garrity LED disposable flashlight is handy and cheap. Or just get one of those handy dandy clip ons for the beak of your cap. Hands free and worth their weight in gold. I like the fact that the light is a line of sight thing with my eyes.
Oh thats a good point, too. Can't do much of anything even with a set of tools if you're completely in the dark.