Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 03-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: Teach me about buying a used bike

Too bad that is not the norm instead of an unusual dealer with the customer's welfare and satisfaction in mind.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Too bad that is not the norm instead of an unusual dealer with the customer's welfare and satisfaction in mind.
After visiting the other dealers in the area, I sensed that this one was 'out of the ordinary', so I made my purchase. I was unsure of myself and nervous, having never purchased a motorcycle before, but it actually turned out to be a pleasant experience.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

A pleasant experience is so rare when spending money in a dealership. That applies to cages as well of course. Last summer I was seriously looking for a new cage but couldn't find one to my liking within a reasonable price range so I still have the Ranger. 2 years ago I almost bought a C-50 Suzuki but the dealer wigged out and tossed me out the door.
Please send your dealer to the GWN, he will make a lot of friends and have a very solid customer base in a short time. The West Coast of course.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #14
dentheman

This dealership has five locations spread around Texas. I'm afraid you would have to make the long trip down south. Part of the pleasant experience was that I offered them $449 below what was marked on the tag, 'out the door', and they accepted. I was a little shocked as my offer was meant to feel them out. I owned a motorcycle before I knew what hit me. When I looked at the bill of sale I saw that the dealer eating the TTL and other charges as well as accepting my lower offer saved me close to $1000 from what the total would have been if I had accepted the price on the tag.

I had never heard of out the door until I read it here!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Out the door(OTD)is a good way to go when shopping. The final price is what you want, not a socalled bargain price and then a bunch of add ons that the sales person tosses in at the final moment before signing the paper work. Add on fees can be very costly and make a greater profit for sellers. When I was looking at the C-50 a couple years ago the best out the door price was easily $1000 less than other prices elsewhere before the final tally. With that one good OTD price I could have bought the bike outright but now I'm glad I didn't take it home. Got a bucket list to work on now.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
Thorag

I'm new, so I don't know if I'm supposed to start a new thread, but I thought hijacking this one would be best.

Anyhow I've got two questions:

- Would you prefer an older bike or one with less miles? Lets say a 2002 with 3000 or a 2008 with 10000. same price and equal condition.
- Stupid question: How do you inspect the oil on a gz250. Is there a "window" to see the color and where is the dipstick? :whistle:
Old 05-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #17
alantf

[attachment=0:34xl9pw0]oil.jpg[/attachment:34xl9pw0]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorag
How do you inspect the oil on a gz250. Is there a "window" to see the color and where is the dipstick?
Hi there.

There's no dipstick. The oil filler plug is red arrowed, & the inspection window is yellow arrowed. If you look at it closely (on the bike) you'll see an oil level indicator mark. To get the correct level, the bike must be vertical (not resting on the stand)
Old 05-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #18
cburgess594

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Check with your state DMV. In many states, like here in Fl., if you have a signed bill of sale you can ride the bike home, and to the tax office if you have to, until you get a plate. Call up the insurance company immediately and get the bike covered.

This have to be done first... :poke2: