Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 03-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
gtfoss1986

Big Man Little Bike

Hello all,

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, or earlier. I've been getting the itch to motorcycle for a long time now. And now that I finally got the funds saved up I'm going to get a bike. I do a crap ton of research on anything before I buy it, but looking at motorcycles has to be one of the hardest as everyone is so opinionated, but what better way to get to the source of information than a fan based group on a specific model. I bought a 2009 Yamaha zuma last year with 0 miles on it in March 2013. It was still in the crate , I love my peppy little two stroke in town and it does 48 with me on it. I put 1,600 miles on it when I stored it for the winter in October.

I have been out shopping and found that I want to start out on a 250, a few sites and people told me that I need something bigger being 6ft almost 300 pounds. The dealership I bought my zuma at was the nicest they told me to only buy on what I am comfortable on, and if that means a 250 than so be it, they didn't look down at me for wanting one which is why I put a reserve deposit down on a 2009 GZ250 with 2,100 miles on it and my price would be $1,800. It looks pristine, and I am waiting for warmer weather to test it, plus I trust these guys not to sell me crap as they know I am a repeat customer.

My issues are, will I be putting undo stress on this motorcycle with my size, I actually felt very comfortable on it but I worry about the machine?

Can it handle my weight as far as speed for hwy? I want to go up in Door County as I live in Green Bay WI which is about 45 mins of hwy at 65 mph and about 45 mins of hwy at 55 mph? will I damage my engine?

Are bigger guys a laughing stock on smaller bikes, it didn't really feel small on me at all?

Anyone here have experience with this?

Any help would put my mind to ease, I appreciate the feedback whether positive or negative, and sorry to make this first post so long and boring.

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
alantf

Hi there. With your weight, and wanting to do 65MPH for long stretches would seem to be putting a lot of stress on the bike. I'm sorry to say that I don't think this is the right bike for you. I reckon that you should be looking at least for a 500cc bike. 170 pounds and town riding is what this bike is designed for. Even for a lighter person, highway riding means the need for a bigger bike, plus, at 65MPH you haven't much left if you need to get out of the way of a truck in a hurry. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
mole2

I don't know if you can afford it or not but Harley Davidson came out with a new for 2014 500cc street bike. Might be worth taking a look at. The price seems fair.

Last edited by mole2; 03-23-2014 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Add a second video
Old 03-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
grasshopper

I have owned a 2001 gz250 and my wife and I both rode together on it all the time. our combined weight is about 320 pounds. it did top out about 65 mph though. I'm 5'10" and felt comfortable. I never had any major problems either. I did move up too a bigger bike (Honda magna vf750c) to get interstate speeds and passing ability. At your size I would also recommend a bigger bike. The gz250 may only give you 20 more mph than your zuma.Remember you control the throttle so just cause it is bigger doesn't mean you have to go faster. I do believe you would be happier that you invested in a bigger bike from the beginning. I would definitely see if I could transfer my deposit to a bigger bike. I hope this helps you out.

http://youtu.be/KIS9Hzv--f0
https://youtu.be/fvmTNllcQOQ
Old 03-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Hmm, you may be pushing the envelope a bit with a GZ. Are you familiar with the Suzuki S-40(Savage 650)?? It is a slightly larger size bike with a 650 single cylinder engine. Basically the GZ's big brother in many way. Still not a rocket by any means but likely just right as a first bike for you.
Spend some time doing test sits on various bikes to get a feel for them. There are a lot of older 500 and 600 twins out there that would work nicely too.
Primarily you want a bike that you feel comfy on. Find a few and then research them on the net. Name the bike and add FORUM after it. Works like a charm. Don't spend much time on forums that are concerned with loud pipes and chrome. But do get at least an introduction from the members and read between the lines.
My choice is Japanese bikes because they are cheaper with no real exotic designs that cost an arm and a leg to repair if something breaks. Parts are readily available too. Ebay when all else fails. Please keep us updated.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:10 PM   #6
gtfoss1986

Thank

Thank you for the info guys, ya HD is way to much they do have a few Kawasaki's and Yamaha's and Suzuki's in the 600 to 800 range, thank you for the post on the throttle, you are correct I am by no means a crazy driver, I have 3 seasons of EVOC and 5 years of SMITH under my belt, it the other crazy divers you gotta watch for. I will look into this when I can test ride other bikes, I just feel that the 500and up bikes are to top heavy for me to really learn on. But doesn't mean I won't try them.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:43 PM   #7
grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoss1986 View Post
Thank you for the info guys, ya HD is way to much they do have a few Kawasaki's and Yamaha's and Suzuki's in the 600 to 800 range, thank you for the post on the throttle, you are correct I am by no means a crazy driver, I have 3 seasons of EVOC and 5 years of SMITH under my belt, it the other crazy divers you gotta watch for. I will look into this when I can test ride other bikes, I just feel that the 500and up bikes are to top heavy for me to really learn on. But doesn't mean I won't try them.
Try some bikes that have a low seat. my magna seat is only 28 inches from the ground (low center of gravity) and feels like my gz250 did. The Honda magna is 200 pounds more weight than the gz250 and I got used to that very quickly. most of the extra weight is because of the bigger motor. even when my tank is full it feels good and controllable. Like WW said try a few bikes out. Good luck.

http://youtu.be/KIS9Hzv--f0
https://youtu.be/fvmTNllcQOQ
Old 03-31-2014, 09:32 PM   #8
gtfoss1986

Test Drove it?

I just wanted to follow up with you guys. I test drove the GZ250 tonight as well as Vn500. Buell blast 500 and a virago 250. I fell in love with the GZ. It was very forgiving compared to the blast. It was more nimble than the VN 500 and far more comfortable than the virago. It had plenty of power and the clutch is very forgiving. I got it up to 60 with a 20 to 30 headwind and 70 is were I said enough. I wanted to say thank you for this forum as I will be using it while enjoying my gz. Are there any issues I should keep an eye on for 2009 model? I can't seem to find any so far. Thanks again
Old 03-31-2014, 10:14 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Congrats on the bike. How many miles on the bike? Do you have a service/maintenance record? The care and feeding of a GZ is pretty simple but it must be done. Ride Safe.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:23 AM   #10
mole2

Congrats on your new ride. Ride safe.