Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 09-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
Jer

Back Wheel Locks Up During Braking

Back Wheel Locks Up During Braking

The books say keep on the brake so you dont highside in the other direction.

Question: What will happen as you stay on the brake? Will the bie stay off to one side and stay there til stopped?

Or will the back end continue to move sideways?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-17-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Sarris

Re: Back Wheel Locks Up During Braking

Reduce pressure (don't fully release) and cut the wheel into she skid (not to sharp) until you gain control. Didn't you ever skid or do skids riding a bicycle?? Same basic dynamics apply. Are we playing q & a this am?? Let me know if you want to do this in the chat room.

:biggrin:
Old 09-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer

Question: What will happen as you stay on the brake?
I with Sarris. 20 questions is OK......but it gets a little old when all 20 seem to be the SAME question.

You need to find some dirt or grass and practice locking the back a bit to see what it does.
It depends on a lot of factors: pavement surface, speed, direction and whether or not you are also applying the front brake.

You should not abruptly release a skidding back tire. If you haven't practiced enough that you can feather it a bit, then it is better to keep it locked. Yes, it probably will go to the side....and applying more front will cause it to go MORE sideways.......but you are still slowing down more than you would if you released it.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Jer

I hadnt asked this question before. Not sure what you mean there. Its the first time I've brought up anything regarding locking up your back wheel.

20? I asked 3. Crossing wet pavement, crossing sand/gravel, and locking up the back wheel. I suppose the wet pavement thing is similar to the sand/gravel thing. But thats why its in the beginner section. Beginners shouldnt assume anything.

I keep reading "the best thing to do is just keep it locked. Dont panic and let go of the back brake"

Which makes sense. Whats missing in these books though is what to expect as you come skidding to a stop with your rear brake locked.

I figured someone here would have gone thru that before. So the beginner section seemed like a good place to ask. As Sarris has pointed out this place is polulated with 80% beginners.

What happens if you lock your back wheel during a panic stop, to me anyway, is useful beginner info.

If you dont feel like answering my questions, don't. But why the 20 questions remarks? Show me 17 more that are all the same and I'll understand where you're coming from.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer
If you dont feel like answering my questions, don't. But why the 20 questions remarks? Show me 17 more that are all the same and I'll understand where you're coming from.
OK, sorry.
You've been here long enough to know that we sometimes needle each other a bit.
If my comment was too much for you, I AM sorry.

You asked why, though, so here is why: We are having essentially the same discussion in at least 2 maybe 3 threads all at the same time. Braking is braking. The same basic principles apply regardless of the specific situation. In one of the other threads, you seem to be asking exactly the same question over and over and we keep saying yes, yes, yes.

So here's the bottom line: It's kinda like sex! :whistle: Nobody is going to be able to describe the dynamics of the situation adequately; you just have to try it for yourself and practice until you get it right!! :biggrin:

Old 09-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Jer

I'm with ya.

Print doesnt come off right all the time. Thanks for clarifying that. It's all good.

And thanks for bearing with me. I'm new to this. Creeping up on 400 miles or so. Water, sand, gravel, paint, rr tracks, white arrows, leaves, grass clippings, pine neetles, etc, I didnt want to assume that they are all the same.

Really, anything that gets in between a dry good tire and a dry good surface is treated the same. Thats what I'm taking from this.

And the back wheel locking up thing, what I'm not clear on is this.

You brake hard enough to lock the wheel up. (either on accident or on purpose cuz you about to hit a car, whatever) It starts to slide to the right as you lose speed. You are supposed to keep on it so it doesnt break loose and throw you back the other way as the bike regains grip.

If you keep the bars pointed forward, will it swing out a ways and just hold there? Its been a long time since I did skids on my old bmx.

Just maintain and hope you stop in time? Or is there something else you should do as this happens? Will the back end go completely around in a 180 fashion?
Old 09-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer
If you keep the bars pointed forward, will it swing out a ways and just hold there? Its been a long time since I did skids on my old bmx.

Just maintain and hope you stop in time? Or is there something else you should do as this happens? Will the back end go completely around in a 180 fashion?
You actually counter-steer a tiny bit to keep it pointed forward, if you have the presence of mind to do so, and that is REAL counter-steering just like in a car.....not the counter-pushing that you use to steer a bike in motion.

And, yes, in extreme conditions, the back end can come around; probably not 180 but close to it.
Stunt riders can do a 180 and stay upright.
Ever watch NASCAR? when they lock up the brakes, they often "back" it into the fence.

Like I said, the real answer(s) to all of this is to try it for yourself......and if you have access to a bicycle, that is a really good place to start.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
Jer

cool, thanks.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:04 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Practice braking and then practice some more. Practice threshold braking with the rear at different speeds. Learn the point of braking just before lock-up. You will also learn the rear is not that effective all by itself. Now do the same adding a little front brake. Very effective compared to the rear. Keep in mind as you apply front brake that the forks will compress, weight shifts forward and unloads the rear wheel causing lock-up on ocassion. This is where you learn to release the rear slightly to avoid lock-up. You must practice this at slower speeds and slowly increase speed with practice. Being able to stop quickly and staying up-right is good for your health. Learn to trust both brakes and explore the capabilities of the bike for when they are really needed.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #10
Jer

Great info.

Thanks!!!