Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 06-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #51
New GZ250

Re: gz250 mileage

California-3.2 Gallon Tank. Usually tank up at 180 miles on trip odometer, most I have pushed it is 199 miles and did not have to hit reserve.
Put over 9,000 miles on the bike, get on average 75+ miles a gallon easy! Vapor recovery tank is under tank.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #52
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by New GZ250
Vapor recovery tank is under tank.
Is there a big difference in the tank, to account for it holding less fuel? I've only seen the "normal" tank. :??:
Old 06-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #53
New GZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by New GZ250
Vapor recovery tank is under tank.
Is there a big difference in the tank, to account for it holding less fuel? I've only seen the "normal" tank. :??:
I have not seen an out of state bike to compare, but a .2 difference would be hard to see. We are talking about a bit over 6 ounces. I wish I had those extra ounces though! The larger the tank, the better i say!

Old 06-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #54
Water Warrior 2

The larger the tank, the better i say![/quote]
Good idea until you have to pick up a fallen bike with a 22 liter tank and it is full. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #55
cayuse

Had a satisfying experience yesterday, fuel-wise.
I was riding home from work and noticed my odo was edging towards 300km. Based on experience this is just about when my main pickup runs dry. As luck would have it, I found myself in a long stop-and-go lineup for a 4-way stop, creeping uphill(!).
Dreading the thought of a stall in this situation I reached down and switched to reserve and eventually got through the intersection without incident. A minute later on the open road I switched back to main just to see how far I would get and it started coughing almost immediately! Got a good grin out of that!

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA

Old 06-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #56
ArizonaKev

Talk about irony... I had just read alantf's following post today :

Quote:
Switched to reserve, then only got 1 more mile out of it?

This seems to firmly point to the fact that the pipe has come off the petcock (in the tank)
....and I am riding home from work, looking at my trip odometer and thinking I am getting some FANTASTIC gas mileage, and wondering if I should stop at the next gas station - knew I was getting a little low. But I wasn't worried, figured I would just switch to reserve after it ran it. Well, it started sputtering, I switched to reserve - and it kept sputtering - and died. And stayed dead. Even after several attempts at starting.
At this point, I am thinking back to having read that very post just today, and thinking "don't tell me - the pipe has come off the petcock in my bike, causing there to be no real 'reserve' just like alan described. Fortunately, I stopped right next to a shop, where a fellow rider happened to be working. He came out and saw if I could use a hand, and I described this posting I had read. So he takes the gas cap off, leans the bike a little bit, and says "Yep - there it is, check it out." And sure as sh!t, there is that pipe, laying flat in the tank! I could hardly believe the irony...7
So, he lent me a gas can, I walked to the gas station about 1/4 mile away, got a couple of gallons, put it in, and the bike started right up. Thank God for small favors!

I had to post this in place of another post I had put up saying to simply 'slosh the tank around,' because obviously, that didn't work real well for me! So listen to what they say about checking the mileage and not counting on reserve... Better safe than sorry!

AZKev
Old 08-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #57
emory70

bought my 06 last week. i drive 100 miles a day to work and back. first tank, 78 mpg; second tank, 58 mpg; today, 82 mpg. where did the 58 come from? going from a 50 mph cruise to 60 on the way to work, and on the way home i had a brutal headwind.

my dad has been riding since 1962. his advice? fill up whenever it's convenient.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #58
cayuse

Emory, if you were commuting in a car before this, you are gonna see a BIG difference in your fuel bill! I get a pretty steady 72mpg (US).

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 08-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #59
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by emory70
where did the 58 come from?
Also a slight flinch in the fill level can make a signigicant difference in the calculation......since you're only working with about 2 gallons. Single tank figures can vary by a few mpg just because of that. The big difference is likely due to the factors that you observed.

I never got above 65; to much "wrist", I think. :roll:
Old 08-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #60
emory70

yeah, i have noticed that also about fill level. i'm gonna work on consistency in that. everything is exaggerated when working with such a small amount of fuel