Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 08-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
diffluere

bike covers

Hey guys. My bike came with a nice big cover. Is there any problem putting the cover on the bike after riding it for a few hours? Are my hot exhaust pipes going to melt it?

Tried a search for "bike cover" and didn't really find anything. Also tried a nice friendly google search but no luck. I found a few sites for different covers that say 'DO NOT PUT AGAINST HOT EXHAUST PIPES" but they look totally different from my cover. =)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
burkbuilds

Re: bike covers

Like a lot of things it totally depends on the material your cover is made from. I've got a bar-b-que grill cover that I can put on the grill as soon as I'm done cooking. The one at my parents house you have to let the grill cool down first. My motorcycle cover has never had a problem with contact from the exhaust but that doesn't mean that will be true of your cover. I know that's not much help, sorry. Is there a tag on it with a brand or model that you can look up on the web and see what the manufacturer recommends? Good luck!
Old 08-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffluere
Hey guys. My bike came with a nice big cover. Is there any problem putting the cover on the bike after riding it for a few hours? Are my hot exhaust pipes going to melt it?
Maybe, maybe not. Are you REALLY so pressed for time that you can't let it cool off for 20 minutes or so before putting the cover on it ?? That's about all it takes to get the temp. down below the melt point for most materials.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:49 PM   #4
burkbuilds

Sometimes you can't wait, like if you pull into the parking lot and have to go in to work or school and want to cover the bike up before lunch.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
Sometimes you can't wait, like if you pull into the parking lot and have to go in to work or school and want to cover the bike up before lunch.

Or if its about to start raining! Do you guys seriously cover up your bikes (not asking this to anyone in particular but the whole forum) when you go somewhere, school/store/work. I just can't imagine covering up my bike when I rode it somewhere, now when I get home is a different story all together.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
I just can't imagine covering up my bike when I rode it somewhere, now when I get home is a different story all together.
:plus1:

OCD ?? :biggrin:
Old 08-19-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
burkbuilds

Yeah, I cover my bike sometimes when I'm out, mainly if it's going to be parked all day and I don't want anybody messing with it while I'm gone. I've had a couple of things "vandalized" when it was sitting uncovered in a parking lot all day but never had anybody with the nerve to remove the cover and mess with anything! If I don't have a place to put my helmet when I go inside and I'm going to be in for a while I'll lock it on my handlebars and then cover the bike to deter anyone from messing with my helmet, and to keep it dry if it looks like rain is coming. I guess that's not really a consideration if you aren't using the bike to commute, just riding to a destination or round trip back home.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
bonehead

Bike gets covered at home, thats it.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
dhgeyer

Only time I ever covered bikes was because I didn't have room in the garage, and I wasn't going to ride a particular one for a while. This has happened twice. Bikes were outside, covered, for a few weeks. Both times, when I took the cover off I had a nice, fat, wasp nest to deal with. I guess they like that it's nice and warm and dry under there. I know, not germane to the present topic. Sorry.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
mrlmd1

If it's too hot to touch the pipes or the engine case with your hand, it's probably too hot for most of the thin nylon or other synthetic covers because they will melt or burn. Not too hard to understand.