Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 08-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
diffluere

Re: bike covers

My cover feels pretty similar to a grill cover...but who knows. I ended up waiting to put it on last night, then didn't remember until this morning. Oh well. Thanks for the replies. I looked up my cover and I think it's this one:

http://www.dowcopowersports.com/product ... m=50002-03

I don't cover my bike except at home. I usually use my saddlebags for other stuff when I'm out riding around, so cramming the cover into one side would be an inconvenience. Maybe I should get a special bag and attach it on the back though. I live in Florida and right now it rains randomly almost every day. School starts next week and I don't want a wet butt between classes!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #12
mrlmd1

If it's that one and you know specifically that it is, the ad says it has a heat shield on it and can be put on immediately.
If I did that with either of the two I have, I's have a melted hole in it before I got it all on and secured.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #13
diffluere

I think from now on I will just put the cover on but leave it tucked up on top of the saddlebags until the exhaust cools off. Mostly I am just concerned about it getting rained on when I'm not riding it. I saw that it says it has heat shields but I don't know how well I trust them.

Who wants to help me build a garage?

Old 08-20-2009, 04:17 AM   #14
alantf

My main problem in the rainy season is that that the two buttons on the saddle fill up with water. I just carry a piece of old plasic sheet, big enough to cover the saddle & pillion. Problem solved! :2tup:
Old 08-20-2009, 06:43 AM   #15
bonehead

A co-worker just got what I will call a sun cover. It just covers the bars and seat and will keep rain off too. Can't remember how much it was, but I think he got it on-line somewhere. I'll get more info and pass it on. BTW, it takes up very little space.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #16
caroledee1

There is an old thread listed under "Rain covers" from last year. The Dowco Weatherall is a good one. I have two of them. A medium for the GZ250 and a large for the V-star. I got a free warranty replacement from the dealer this year for the 3 year-old one that had seen year-round Illinois weather. You can place the lower treated section on a hot exhaust but the manufacturer doesn't recommend this as it causes premature wearout.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

Wally World has cheap covers for about $20.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
A co-worker just got what I will call a sun cover. It just covers the bars and seat and will keep rain off too. Can't remember how much it was, but I think he got it on-line somewhere. I'll get more info and pass it on. BTW, it takes up very little space.
Sounds ideal for daily usage and a lot easier to fold up than a full tilt Dowco cover. I only use the Dowco if the bike will be parked for a few weeks in the winter if the weather turns nasty for this area.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #19
diffluere

http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/ ... 0423bb4e95

Heheh! Now your bike has its own tent when you go camping!

I also found this cover which is pretty reasonably priced.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Dow ... DOW-7.html
Old 08-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #20
VTXorcist

Send a message via Yahoo to VTXorcist

Beware the $20 covers. I bought a 'water-resistant' one cheap and the bike is always wet under the cover after it rains. The $70 I have for my other bike keeps it dry. I'm not saying all cheaper covers stink like mine, but I definitely think there's something to the old 'get what you pay for' adage.

Oh, also, I take my cover in to work when there's a chance of rain. The seat acts like a sponge, and there's nothing worse than squelching your butt into a nice soggy sponge after a day of work.