Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 05-02-2007, 07:20 PM   #21
Water Warrior 2

Like the sound of a big bore kit. Bumping up the displacement another 100 cc's or so would be a huge difference. The added displacement even in mild tune for reliability would likely allow for another tooth on the front sprocket and a couple less on the rear. Without going overboard this combo could be very nice for cruising the highways and give a longer, more powerful pull in every gear. But here is a less than great thought. Would the 250+ develope a vibration typical of larger thumpers ??

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-02-2007, 09:25 PM   #22
Jordan310

Well,

Obviously yes I would say that the virbration will increase quite a bit. The kit adds only about 80cc's more and yes, Im sure of the increased vibration.
Still - I highly doubt it would be bad at all.

I would love to have the bike geared for 1/4 mile quickness, and easy highway revs up to 90Mph.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:20 PM   #23
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I'm going to be skeptical of this big bore kit until I see it done.
I don't mean any offense to you, but I've seen more than a few 250cc bike riders make claims about big bore kits that don't exist and all types of other schenanegans.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:41 AM   #24
Jordan310

Bro, look at the link in my other posts.
i ordered the parts, and they are readily available for this engine.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #25
Gadzooks Mike

16T Sprocket and Hill Climb

Did this mod take away too much power? Right now, I generally have to downshift from 5th to 4th to get up many hills. After the mod, does it still climb decent in 4th? It seems like there would be enough oomph in 4th to handle it, but thought I'd check before I ordered a sprocket.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #26
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Thanks for getting back on topic :2tup:

Without a problem. There isn't any power loss. The power has just been spread out over longer gears. If you get up into the top of the rev range in any gear it will still move.

I find that 4th is actually more useful. Normally, aroud the time that you would shift to 5th, say 45-50mph, you can hold out in 4th, eliminating the downshift scenario alltogether. I use the new 4th gear well into the 55mph range. It's capable of 60 without redline.

My initial reaction was a little over the top. Having spent more time on the bike, the change isn't mindblowing; it's utilitarian. I recommend this mod to anyone and I can't understand why Suzuki wouldn't use this as the standard gearing. However, if you're looking for blow-the-doors-off acceleration you're looking in the wrong place.

The 13% increase in gearing yields much more even riding, fewer gear shifts, increased fuel economy and, one would imagine, a longer engine life as a result of the decreased need for excessive revving.

Take care,
Jonathan
Old 05-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #27
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Like the sound of a big bore kit. Bumping up the displacement another 100 cc's or so would be a huge difference. The added displacement even in mild tune for reliability would likely allow for another tooth on the front sprocket and a couple less on the rear. Without going overboard this combo could be very nice for cruising the highways and give a longer, more powerful pull in every gear. But here is a less than great thought. Would the 250+ develope a vibration typical of larger thumpers ??
I think in this case clearance would be an issue. With the 16T sprocket, the chain is already pretty close to the engine block. Aside from that, I doubt that you could find a 17T sprocket.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #28
Gadzooks Mike

Thanks for the info Johathan! I wasn't looking to blow away any doors, believe me. What I am looking at are some long trips this summer, possibly up to 1000 miles or so each running at 55-60mph, and didn't want to be running with high revs all day long. I'm sure the bike would take it, but I'm also pretty sure it would shorten the engine life considerably. This mod just sounded good, and I really appreciate how detailed the instructions are, too! I just ordered the sprocket, hope it shows up by this weekend. Thanks again!!

How do I lose this "Newby" tag? Heck, I've been here a long time, especially in dog years!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:18 PM   #29
Jordan310

Im wondering if you saw that for the JIT sprockets, they sell the Universal Bushings that go with th 16 toother.
Currious to know if you checked that out.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #30
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadzooks Mike

How do I lose this "Newby" tag? Heck, I've been here a long time, especially in dog years!
Seems to depend on the number of posts. But I don't really know.