Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 07-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #21
Way

Re: 16T vs 15T sprockets

So basically to sum this up, a 16 tooth front sprocket is like converting 5th to a sort of weak overdrive, no good for more than 60 mph? At the same time, the lower gears get more torque?

I am going to use my bike for commuting to work on a back road, 60 mph top speed. I have one steep hill toward the end of the trip but other than that it's basically flat. I've been on the interstate, I am still a newbie but it didn't seem all that fun to try to do 65-70 on this bike stock gears or not. Seems like it's too light a bike for those sudden gusts of wind at those speeds.

My main concern is the fuel economy - even though 5th is weaker, will I still be able to get 60 mpg?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #22
blaine

You will get as good, or better mileage because the bike revs less.You should be able to do 70 mph on the flat,no problem.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #23
Way

Thanks Blaine! Excellent. Sounds like this mod is made for me. :2tup:

Now that I'm getting used to riding, I find I'm doing 58-60 without even thinking about it. But with the stock sprocket it seems like 5th gear could be stretched out a little more for cruising speed. I have a fairly short steep hill to get over and I want to do that as quick as I can since it will be dark. I don't want anyone coming up behind me too fast with that tiny taillight. I've got a hard trunk I just bought that's already wired for lights, but that's another project for another time. This sprocket project will be next on the list after my HID headlight issue is taken care of.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #24
cayuse

Way, the quickest way to get up that short hill is with the 15T sprocket. With the 16T sprocket top speed only goes down, especially when you ride up hills or against the wind. That mod is only good for stretching out the low gears to make them feel more comfortable. The price for that is stretching out the top gear so it's less useful. This is fine if you're riding around in town at 40mph or less, but it detracts from highway riding. Also, Blaine's point on gas mileage will only work for the lower gears, while you are in town at lower speed. At high speeds you'll be limited by the taller gearing, so when you encounter headwinds or hills you'll get worse mileage as you push the bike harder.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 07-11-2011, 01:10 AM   #25
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way
Thanks Blaine! Excellent. Sounds like this mod is made for me. :2tup:

Now that I'm getting used to riding, I find I'm doing 58-60 without even thinking about it. But with the stock sprocket it seems like 5th gear could be stretched out a little more for cruising speed. I have a fairly short steep hill to get over and I want to do that as quick as I can since it will be dark. I don't want anyone coming up behind me too fast with that tiny taillight. I've got a hard trunk I just bought that's already wired for lights, but that's another project for another time. This sprocket project will be next on the list after my HID headlight issue is taken care of.
Want to be more visible after dark ? Wal Mart has 3M reflective tape that works great. Red on the back of the trunk, yellow on the sides and silver/white on the front of anything facing forward.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #26
Way

Thanks WW! That stuff is bright, I thought it was an actual light. I'm thinking to put some on my jacket too.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #27
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way
Thanks WW! That stuff is bright, I thought it was an actual light. I'm thinking to put some on my jacket too.
If you Goggle reflective tape you will find lots of suppliers. There is one that has a stick on tape for clothing material that you might find satisfactory. You will know if you have enough reflective tape on the back when cages turn on their low beams and back off a fair bit.
This is the Vstrom with white/silver tape on it. It works well but isn't compliant with the rules. I have the new colors to fix that when I get a round 2 it.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:43 AM   #28
Kcarvajal

I just installed the 16T front sprocket and I think I'm sold. I will be going on a 300 mile road trip this weekend and will gladly share my findings. But if my 60+ mile ride tonight in city/highway is what it will be like, this is a keeper. I had no issues hitting highway speeds. Granted, mostly flat, but I went up a hill while in 5th and was able to maintain my speed. Even felt like I could've given it more.

:2tup:

Thanks!
Ken
Old 07-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #29
Way

So how did this go? :popcorn:
Old 08-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #30
Kcarvajal

Way,
Sorry for not posting after my trip. Completely forgot about it.

The road trip went extremely well. I was cruising comfortably at 65 mph but rode around 70 most of the time, even hit 80 during spots. Granted, the RPM was fairly high, but it did well. We would go pass other vehicles such as semi's etc.

The only problem I had was a sore back/butt. I would say due to my non-stock solo seat and the positioning of the handlebar. It wa a good test, as I now know my bike (in it's current modified state) is not one for extremely long rides. Good thing I didn't get it for that. Otherwise, all is well.

Thanks!