Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 06-11-2011, 04:43 AM   #1
Nightsbane

When to use the clutch...

The single most mystifying thing about learning to ride a bike has been the clutch. I have driven a scooter for a while, and so I was leaps and bounds ahead of other riders in the MSF class in most tested areas while rolling, but when it came to shifting I was a slow learner having only driven a stick shift once or twice in my life.

I didn't get all of the info I needed in the class and so I will ask here, something I am sure I will be doing a lot the first couple weeks.

When is the proper time to use the clutch? I know gear changes use the clutch, and when coming to a stop. What I am confused about it if you should use the clutch when rolling off the throttle in a turn. I noticed on the training bike that rolling completely off the throttle and coasting and then rolling back on the throttle caused a little jerky jump at first. Is this normal/supposed to happen or am I supposed to be using the clutch? I just need to know what to do before I get to higher speeds. I want to make sure there isn't something I will do to make it jump out of my control when rolling on the throttle while driving.

Thanks for your time.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-11-2011, 05:05 AM   #2
alantf

Re: When to use the clutch...

While I certainly know how to use the clutch, unfortunately I'm finding it impossible to put into words. However, one thing I've noticed in the handbook is that you should pull in the clutch at speeds below 15 km/hr (9 to 10 mph) While I don't find this necessary (and I'm sure the majority of other riders don't find it necessary also) it MAY help you at this early stage. :2tup:
Old 06-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
geezer

you in such a dangerous point in your riding. im teaching my girl how to ride and she doensnt have the skill yet to stop at lights and signs so she will blindly taketurns etc. she almost got ran over the other day, like no shit almost killed. so i told her she would not ride again till she took her msf course. i feel like you in the same place she is on clutch control. dude this shit cannot b taught over a forum post, do yourself a favor and help you live alittle longer, go back to school or get someone good on bikes to show you the ropes.imo knowing th clutch is the most important thing on a bike

Old 06-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Rionna

I am a newbie as well. I took the MSF course and the problem is that they teach you how to shift, but not when to shift. Specifically, shifting when turning, at lights, entering a parking lot. It is a controlled environment at the class designed to prepare you to pass the proficiency test. The instructors will tell you this just gets you your endorsement, but you are by no means skilled. I say this to say that the most important advice I received from my instructors, my BF who is experienced, and other riders is to learn my bike by going to the parking lot. I go there even though I am on the street riding on long rides. It helps to reinforce the things/mistakes I learn on the street and I am safe while learning. I learned to downshift better and work my clutch better in the parking lot where I spent over an hour practicing. I also ride with an experienced rider who critiques me when I ride. I can also ask him questions as I ride. I still will not go out by myself because I recognize my limitations as a newbie. BTW I drove a stick shift for years so shifting is not new to me. In summary, go to a parking lot and practice. Get to know your bike. This is a process of skill building so be patient with yourself and be safe. :cool:
Old 06-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Nightsbane

Thanks for the advice. Geezer you misunderstand me. I am by no means out of control, and by the endof the course I was shifting just fine. I understand the friction zone and all that, I mainly just want to know two things. Is the little jerkiness when rolling back on the throttle all the way and then back on normal, and am I supposed to engage the clutch when completely letting go of the throttle and then rolling back on.

For instance, I'm rolling and I am now in second gear. I let off the throttle to go into a curve or turn. After slowing I roll onto the throttle (after not using much or any at all, coasting a bit) and go through the turn. Sometimes this caused the range bikes to be just a bit jerky when rolling back on the throttle, didn't cause any control issues, but I just wanted to know if this was normal and if I should have been using the clutch to avoid damaging anything.

That's what I need to know.

For me, the only thing I am still learning with the clutch is not killing it at least once while riding from a stop light by letting out the clutch to quickly :tongue:

Old 06-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
alantf

Mine has always been jerky when shutting off the throttle, until the engine gets really hot, then the jerkiness disappears. Is this what you mean, & does it go away when the engine gets hot?
Old 06-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
Nightsbane

I haven't had a chance to test out a bike fully on my own yet, still waiting another week to get my gz, my experience is limited to the range and test drives of other bikes. I am mainly referring to the little jolt/jerkiness I have noticed at lower gears when rolling off the throttle and coasting, and then rolling back on the throttle. I don't use the clutch when I do this, and the jolt is minor and not jarring, but I am just curious if I am supposed to be using the clutch there.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
geezer

sorry when people ask when to use a clutch i kinda worry. :crackup my girl got on and read the post and asked "is he reall asking us how to use a clutch?" yeah i misunderstood you sorry :lol: yes the buckin and jerkin is all normal at slow speed if you off the throttle and clutch ma dude
Old 06-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
cayuse

Alan, sounds like your experience is due to a reduction in compression when your engine is hot. I know when I'm in a low gear and transitioning from decel to accel on the throttle I will frequently put a little pressure on the clutch just to soften the 'jolt'.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 06-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
alantf

This is the only bike I've ever had where this happens (been riding for over 45 years) Never heard about compression lowering with a hot engine, How does that happen? :??: