Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 06-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
grego

BEGINING TO WONDER

HI ALL

I've had the bike for 2 months now. The odometer said 168 miles. The shop i bought it from said the owner bought it in error. Well as you all know by my posts i no nothing about bikes but am learning in a hurry. Since owning it i had to free up the coke cable was pinched. Adjust the clutch cable, adjust the back brake. Also found a nail for a cotter pin on the rear brake. Just today i was looking at the service manual because i have a tach to install. I saw a picture of the muffler and thought gee that doesn't look like mine. I read where if you modified the muffler you had to modify the carb, or something because if you do just the muffler the bike looses power. So now what do i have to do ? I don't know enough to figure out if i'm loosing power or if the other modifications were done. Seems like a lot of stuff for a 2006 with 168 miles on it. Here are pics of the muffler. I didn't think riding a bike was so much work.. If this isn't the stock muffler what do i do next ??

Safe biking

GREGO

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
blaine

Re: BEGINING TO WONDER

Although not the stock muffler,it will work fine.The only time you will need to do a re jet is with a straight pipe & intake mods.
:cool:

Old 06-13-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
grego

blaine

thanks i feel a lot better now..... just wondering what will pop up next...

safe biking

greg

Old 06-13-2011, 04:30 AM   #4
alantf

Adjusting the cables is pretty much normal when a bike has done only a few miles. Cables, by their very nature, start to stretch as soon as you start using them. Dunno why there should be a nail instead of a cotter pin though. He shouldn't have had need to disconnect it.

If you suspect that the bike may have more miles on it than it says, a quick, rule of thumb, method of checking is to look for wear on the footpegs. A bike with only 168 miles on it should have pretty much perfect rubber on them. An older bike will start showing wear. What I can't understand is why the guy would have started doing expensive mods to a new bike before he discovered he'd bought the wrong one. This seems to suggest that he wanted a faster one, but if this is the case, then he would have found this on day one, before changing the exhaust. Also I forgot to mention) check how much rubber has been used up on the tyre tread. 168 miles means negligible rubber loss. :2tup:
Old 06-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
geezer

sweet ass muffler what brand so i can look it up?

Old 06-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
grego

geezer

i don't have a clue what brand they are. i don't have a clue about very much on the bike, but learning as i go. like the drain under the air box full of oil. how does oil get into the air box ? anyway sorry i couldn't help

safe biking

grego
Old 06-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
alanmcorcoran

Hey grego I live in Anaheim too. Unfortunately I don't know jack about bike's either, but perhaps we can compare notes on power, idling if that helps. Also, I have a battery charger and an air compressor if either of those are needed.

I'm out of town at the moment but I'll be back next thursday. I use Mission Motorsports for anything more complex than tightening the mirrors or filling the tires with air. I have had the oil plug off, the spark plug out and I've charged the battery a few times - but 9 times out of ten, GZ issues are the carburetor and I am too afraid to tackle that myself.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego
how does oil get into the air box ?

grego
The oil & water you find in the air box is blow by from the engine,a little is normal.If there is a excessive amount of oil in the air box,it can be a sign of worn rings.It can also be as simple as too much oil in the crank case.
:cool:

Old 06-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
geezer

nothing on the muffler? no markings of any kind? thanks
Old 06-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
grego

hi all

ok after reading the posts i went out and checked my tires. have continential 110/90-16 on the front and a meteler perfect m77 130/90-15.. they are over due for replacement. the front tire was made in 2003. i can hear you chuckling cause you know what the question is going to be and you know there are going to be lots of opinions on what brand and design to buy...and that's my question. oh another think there is this can under the frame in the center. looking at the parts and service manual it says its the evapo system. but mine doesn't look like the one in the parts manual. here is a picture of it. and the nut one one side was loose and the nut on the other side is gone...