Old 04-23-2012, 01:30 AM   #11
OGC

Re: Ride your own ride

To true Water Warrior.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
Rionna

Good advice WW! I've been riding for a year, and this is still a rule I follow. I've been invited to ride with those with more powerful bikes such as Harleys and I have declined because I know I would be pushing the Beast to the limit trying to keep up on highways and hills. I usually make plans to meet them at the destination. I ride to enjoy the ride not to be the 1st to arrive.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
dentheman

I have discovered what 'my own ride' is; it is way back in the boonies, where I don't know quite where I am without stopping to pull my gps from my pocket, just exploring. I have ventured down some 'County Roads' (dirt roads) on my cruiser, in search of new things to see, turns to make, and hills to climb. A cruiser is not the best bike for those roads, but I figure that if it gets too bad I can always stop and turn around. It will do until I get an adventure bike.

I don't have to try to match someone else's speed or style, since I am alone. Only my curiosity dares me.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

I tried Sunday rides with a group of 5 or 6 and eventually bowed out. There was just a tad too much competition on some of the unfamiliar roads and that was unnerving the odd time. Exploring should be done at a relaxed speed to see the new sights.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #15
Skunkhome

If you are riding with a good group they will pace themselves to the slowest rider. They will also put the least experienced riders toward the front so that they can keep an eye on them and critique them at the next stop.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkhome
If you are riding with a good group they will pace themselves to the slowest rider. They will also put the least experienced riders toward the front so that they can keep an eye on them and critique them at the next stop.
Unfortunately it didn't work that way. The majority of the riders let themselves get competative and that spoiled the ride for me and one other rider who was a pleasure to ride with.